What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark pitcher pics

Just a few pics of neps with dark pitchers.

NDenxTrunc20.jpg

N. densiflora x truncata growing in a south window.

DSC03222.jpg

N. muluensis x lowii growing in a tank under lights.

DSC03224.jpg

N. muluensis x lowii pitcher.

DSC03198.jpg

VFT "Big Mouth" added just for fun. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago.

Wow, that mulu x lowii is amazing :D

Oooh, you have one of those nice N.densiflora x truncata 'King of Spades' too. How do the leaves look? The shape on mine is just downright gorgeous! I love the pitchers :)

The leaves are dark green and fleshy, and they show the influence of the N. truncata parent by a slight truncation. Other than that there's nothing special about them.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Wow, that mulu x lowii is amazing :D

Thanks for the complement. I think I would highly recommend this hybrid for beginners. It seems to be about the easiest thing in the world to grow, and it stays relatively small.

I'm gonna get one of those N. mulu x lowiis sometime soon - love the brown pitcher. I wish there were pics of the uppers online someplace, CPPF doesn't have any pics except lowers too.

Oh wow that muluensis x lowii is the best I have ever seen. I love the yellow striping, it's gorgeous

You won't be sorry, swords. I've had this plant for a number of years, and it's one of the best neps I ever bought. It has never been transplanted out of its teeny pot, and I never have to water it because it rooted itself in the moss and water underneath. The only thing I do is put a single ice bottle in the tank section at night just for the heck of it, but I don't think that's even really necessary. I do drop in some Zoo Med mini crickets once in a while. I've cut it back only once, and it sprouted multiple nodes that kept going. That's why there is a difference in the pitcher sizes. The smaller ones are from secondary stems that haven't fully matured.

Pretty high praise, Dexthenes–thanks for the complement!

What kind of soil mix have you got going on there? Looks like just charcoal, perlite and sand?

I'm just getting back into Neps after a few years off and I'm surprised by all the new species/hybrids available and also, the variable & chunky mixes people are using now. Back in the day LFS and Orchid bark were pretty much the beginning and the end of the whole thing.

That has got to be the best mul x lowii that I've seen! Mine has just started to basal, so hopefully I'll get more pitchers. :)

But does anyone have pics of uppers? Ever seen any pics of uppers? ???

wantwantWANT!

:drool:

Those are GORGEOUS!
Thanks for sharing!!!

Glen,
Simply Beautiful! The muluensis x lowii is a real show stopper!
Magic Green Thumb = Beautiful Dark Pitchers.....

Thanks for the kind words everybody.

swords: I've been using a mix of LFS, coconut chips, perlite, and peat. It's very free-draining, holds moisture well, and the plants seem to like it. I don't use orchid bark because it breaks down too quickly, and I got tired of that. This mix has brought me the best results. For highlanders I add just a greater proportion of perlite.

Back