What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Re-fertilizing

Normally, I do weekly sprays of a weak orchid fertilizer but I'm pretty leary about using ground fertilizers. About 6 months ago though, I decided to put about 3 pellets of osmocote in each pot and though I have no controls, it didn't seem to harm them either. Tonite, I re-fertilized all the neps in the hopes that I'll see good growth. I'd like to hear how others feel about using osmocote and other time-release fertilizers on your neps.

Sorry, I've never used time release pellets, but I do flush the substrate with dilute orchid ferts as my main form of fertilization.

i use it for D. regia in addition to MaxSea. it seems to be working nicely
have not really tried large neps. did try seedlings. caused moss explosion

I've used a lot more than three pellets of Osmocote before, with no ill effects.
~Joe

I've used a lot more than three pellets of Osmocote before, with no ill effects.
~Joe

Do you see a significant difference over NOT using it?

Oh, right, I was going to get to that part.
A slight bit... but I wouldn't necessarily call it significant. It's been like three years though, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.
~Joe

I think the difference is if you notice your Neps actually growing. People who don't fertilize at all often tend to say my plant is X years old and still only this big.... and in 1/2 that time my plants had grown to a vine. At least it seemed that way years ago.

*except for that dirty little N. lowii... :D

I guess my situation is similar. Around the time I started using Osmocote I started seeing some monster growth on certainly plants. I wasn't watching closely though, so I can't say if it was exclusive to the pots I fertilized or not. These days I'm mostly going with the fertilizer-in-the-pitchers method, although they also get some root fertilization when I feed the orchids in the same tray.
~Joe

Back