What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Well

• Thread starter agunn1231
  • Start date
Today i bought a half price nep at a local shop. its pretty sick looking and was on sale cause it never pitchered. I am out of room in my GH, so i have it in the window. i will see what happens with it. just wanted to let y'all know and i will hopefully post pictures as things progress

I hope you do to.

i may take my ventrata out of the GH but it is just getting over the humidity shock and i dont wanna risk it. This ,Miranda i think it is, was in humidity smilar to that of my living room. But dang, the people at the garden place did not take good care of it.

Don't expect Nepenthes (or most plants) to look good at garden centers unless they're recent arrivals. When plants are as dry as most places let them get the soil actually repels water when they do finally water them generally they don't use anything other than tap water out of a hose. So finicky plants are usually toast if they've been there very long.

My Miranda I had, took a full spring and summer before showing signs of pitchering after I rescued it out of a garden center in Lancaster, PA. Miranda is perhaps the most tolerant of ill treatment, but they aren't immune. It kept growing and putting out leaves, but pitchers eluded it.

well the tendrils look like there might be pitcher growth, and if it does die, it isnt a huge loss.
the damn thing was waterlogged too. Freakin garden centers. i also LOL'd when i saw the Sarrs labled as tropical. I wanted to smack the lady workin in the CP section.

Bump.
Okay, so months have passed, the nep took off like a weed, and finally has a few pitchers.
this was the first one to open within the first few weeks of january.
nepf.jpg

My other nep, the first one i got, i screwed it over bad not knowing what to do, only half listening to the insight here, and being impatient. so im just letting it do its own thing , much like i did with this one.
I find it funny that the half dead one is now healthy and thriving, and the one i got that was looking healthy and had a ton of pitchers, basically said "forget y'all im outta here"

Great pitcher for a half dead half price plant!
I look all the time, but have never found a nep at any garden center around here other than a couple DOA death cubes.

yeah another pitcher on it opened up this morning. Just keep looking, i hadnt seen them in colorado until last summer. everyplace had them

My Nep is finally growing like none other, took almost a year but now its getting to the point that its taking up some of the sitting room for people in the window that its sitting in....so, is there any way that i can trellis it to get is to grow upwards a but instead of horizantal into the sitting space?

Back