What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show off your new ventricosa X hamata hybrids!

I want to get one very badly after seeing those pics, Rob.

I want one also! Will there be future releases from BE? All the ones that made it to Canada sold out really quickly.

Very beautiful plant sir!

Noted that folks might like to see more pics of mature plants - no doubt very true. There is a photo resource we started a few months back under the 'Catalogue' tab on the BE website and we shall be adding a lot of new photos over the next 2 weeks. If anyone wants to know when this is updated, you can sign up on the home page.

One thing to remember though is that the photos we post are usually of seed-grown plants and may not be exactly the same in appearance as one you purchase from a vendor which might also be seed-grown or later on from a selected clone out of microprop. That said, we always try to find a fairly typical one to photograph and not an extreme colouration or form.

I might also mention that although the photos have a copyright logo, we don’t mind people linking to them, so if anyone wants to use them for threads on any forum (such as other N. hamata hybrid threads) you are most welcome.

By the way, we're back at the highland nursery now and the frog is still there on the same plant but has moved to a different pitcher. We worry that as there are no insects around he (or she) might be going hungry so perhaps it’s time for an eviction notice to be issued :-))

That said, we always try to find a fairly typical one to photograph and not an extreme colouration or form.

You know I think we'd all love to see those as well. :-D

I was going post this as a separate thread and then noticed that a thread already exisited for this hybrid.

Maybe this isn't uncommon for some growers to see but our nurseries are (supposed to be) insect proofed so this really is an oddity for us. It never ceases to amaze me how a species of animal that has never seen a Nepenthes pitcher in it's recent evolutionary past can readily make use of it. Diana spotted this in one of our highland nurseries last week:

Nepenthes ventricosa x hamata & visitor

0742&frog5.jpg

0742&frog2.jpg

0742&frog5_cropped2.jpg
Can the frog still get out? Looks like the permistome would block him.

Man I wish I could find a vent x hamata that is awesome.

My other seedling

DSCN6906.jpg

is picking up

dhymb.jpg

cp-mar2012-ventxham001.jpg

cp-mar2012-ventxham002.jpg

cp-mar2012-ventxham003.jpg

Last edited:
Looking good! Gotta wonder though, why the extra X?

I dunno, let's get Joseph Clemens in here and see what he thinks. :p

I dunno, let's get Joseph Clemens in here and see what he thinks. :p

*Wacks you upside da head* ;)

It seems that no matter what nomenclature I use someone complains. :) Don't take it personally though. I do like it better this way. :)

I know what you mean. I am not 100% sure, but I do think that the x in the beginning is only used for named hybrids such as N. x trusmadiensis or N. x predator. In this case, it's just two humble species that haven't had their offspring properly named.

I wouldn't mind it if someone did name it though! N. truncata x hamata gets a cool synonym but this cross doesn't? Yeah right!

I'm so excited!! I found someone selling one and it should be here wed!!! I will post pics as soon as I get it potted. Brokken, another reason to be excited! He he.

So disappointed. Bought a vent x hsmsta from an indevidual and he didn't disclose it was on its last leg and needed a ton of tlc to come back. So sad

So disappointed. Bought a vent x hsmsta from an indevidual and he didn't disclose it was on its last leg and needed a ton of tlc to come back. So sad

It is unethical to withhold information about a plant's poor health when selling it to someone. You are well within your rights to ask for your money back.

I sent an email. Her wasn't a vendor. Private indevidual. If he does respond I am asking for a refund. This was crazy main tip dead three basals started but tiny. One breaks off as soon ad I unwrap. Just aweful.

I sent an email. Her wasn't a vendor. Private indevidual. If he does respond I am asking for a refund. This was crazy main tip dead three basals started but tiny. One breaks off as soon ad I unwrap. Just aweful.

Inexcusable to ask payment for a plant in that condition. I hope it wasn't a member of this forum.

Nope another. I'm embarrassed to even post a pic in it's current state. Had the nerve to tell me to ship them back for a refund.

Back