What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Show off your new ventricosa X hamata hybrids!

Old pitcher and new one.

f1uj.jpg

tpqn.jpg

Does ventricosa add much temperature tolerance, or do they still need pretty strict highland conditions?

Mine is growing as an intermediate/lowland in low humidity but it's pretty new, this is the first pitcher in my care.

Does ventricosa add much temperature tolerance, or do they still need pretty strict highland conditions?
do you think hamata needs strict highland temps,mine seems to do fine kinda intermediate (hope i have not spoken too soon)

Last edited:
my vent x hamata has a much darker peristome than that one. this pitcher just opened up and the ones in back show the color they end up

i cant speaak to the temp tolerance but this sucker is very fast growing and vigorous. now has 3 growth points and will be a bush in no time at all

do you think hamata needs strict highland temps,mine seems to do fine kinda intermediate (hope i have not spoken too soon)

I don't have any hands-on experience with them but they seem to have a reputation for it. My climate is not highlander friendly so I only have a few hardy lowland and intermediate Neps.

^Same clone Myles, just different growing conditions. I grow all my plants outside so it takes time for them to adapt and thrive.

Here's my other clone, I actually like this one much better but it hasn't pitchered in my care yet.

vent02.jpg

how is it the same clone if mine is a seed grown plant?

wow that one's pitcher body is so different with its lack of color!

Oh cool, good for you, I meant to say it had the same dark pitchers when it arrived.

Wow máxima that's a toothy and green pitcher! Is it an intermediate?

Ngantnier, previous owner had them both in a controlled highland setup like most people, I think they do better like that. Red one is doing fine in my intermediate conditions, the green one has put out a few leaves but no pitcher yet. It's only been about 45 days though so with this much development already I'm sure they will adapt quickly.

Wow no one has talked about a vent x hamata since then...I guess this isn't a popular plant at all.

My plants have been growing and since then I've realized there's no green form of this plant and if there is, I certainly don't have it. My green plant -once put into sunlight- has turned red and is now identical to the red form. Honestly they are probably the same plant...

"green" one:

ham05_zps8ld9lpae.jpg

ham03_zpsjskdbaoc.jpg

This red form grew much bigger while the other kept making basals,

ham001_zpsfq08l58e.jpg

ventham_zpska4x2oiz.jpg

ham02_zps2bhjjuwz.jpg

ham01_zpsf56otdqg.jpg

Wow it kinda looks like a regular Hamata when it was younger..except the perisome was kinda a mash up of both nep types.

Now its got that tubby vent looking body with the hamata colors and a thicker perisome with spikey teeth inside. And some with the hamata shaped perisome with some crooked spikes pointing inside.

Prob one of the better hamata crosses I've seen. Beey nice they look very happy

We'll, at least this is one of those hybrids that ventricosa doesn't COMRPLETELY take over.

Wow no one has talked about a vent x hamata since then...I guess this isn't a popular plant at all.

I don't think this is an unpopular hybrid - I expect it's more that people get very excited every time a new hamata hybrid appears in commerce, and it becomes The It Girl for its fifteen minutes, and is then ignored. Wait and see if this isn't how robcantleyi X hamata gets treated! LOL

Theres nothing wrong with this plant at all - in fact, it's one of the better hamata hybrids of the lot. (The singalana cross turned out to be weak and relatively uninteresting) I would say this is one of the more attractive hamata hybrids, and has the distinct advantage of being fairly compact and restrained, unlike that brute N. Predator, which can produce four feet of vine in a year, and which is also less colorful than the ventricosa cross.

Your plants look very healthy. Nicely grown! Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

It's a good plant. Easy, reliable, colorful.
image-40.jpg

The peristome on this cross is so impressive.

I'm guessing that nepenthes burkei x Hamata would look something like this....

Thank you guys. Thanks Whimgrinder, appreciate the info. Best part for me is they are quite vigorous in low humidity. First they both died back down to a basal and then those basals jumped right into an almost aggressive growth. I have about 30 nep species but out of all those, these plants - along with albomarginata (red), vent x sibu and maxima (tentena) are the only ones that keep growing and making pitchers all year. I am sure they would look much better in a greenhouse but I really cannot complain as a poor windowsill grower.

I recognize you from that nepenthes thread now, you had some amazing plants. Are these pitchers of vent x hamata you're holding their max size or do they grow bigger ? I assume you must have seen them at their best.

Back