What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spectabilis or Singalana?

They're gorgeous! The thinner upper pitchers compared to the lowers are great

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 AM ----------

You have succesfully set my heart on getting a spectabilis!

an upper trap from my female Gunung Sinabung clone.... there will be children of these two clones here shortly :p
P1010052-1.jpg

and here is one of my old singalana tujuh photos, i miss this plant... sucks that i had to sell it
DSC05466.jpg

Looking amazing! Congratulations on the upcoming young'ens! :p How would you recommend acclimatizing a Spectabillis? Sorry for all the questions, I'm fairly new to the CP world ^^

well my north sumatra i just let it do its thing in a sink or swim sort of thing, and it came from a good friend of mine who had already hardened it off incredibly well, so there wasnt too much stress to it... it really does prefer highland conditions though, but honestly if you start out with a smaller plant, it will probably be a bit easier to acclimate it to your conditions because you can do what i have always done with medium/small plants and that is cover the pot in a clear ziploc or other form of bag that will hold its shape, and over time add holes into the bag until the RH inside the bag is the same as outside, generally by that time the nep is pretty well hardened off. or any other plant for that matter. spectabilis will more than likely sit for a few months and do nothing, my north sumatra did for a few months, and my gunung sinabung plant pitchers here and there but its a little more difficult to get a spectabilis to make upper traps than it is to make lower traps IMO and IME.... humidity and temps for both of my plants is the same for either plant at any given time, in the garage during late fall through early spring, the plants get temps in the 60s - 70s during the day, and high 40s to low 50s at night, humidity generally in the 50-65% range....

and like i said, it really does prefer highland conditions, it will do a lot better for you with a good temperature drop at night, into the low 60s or upper 50s would be ideal, but mid 60s or so would be fine as well.... This plant does like to produce basals once i gets into the vining stage, i would generally leave one basal only as they will exhaust the main vine, and kill it off, but that just means the basal will take over as the main vine, and you can allow a new basal to emerge and continue the process, plus the other basals you can cut off and root for more plants :) an added bonus.

That sounds great! The day temperatures and the drop at night should be no problem, its getting around 70 in the day and dropping to around 50 at night. Thanks for the info! I think I should be able to keep a Spectabilis happy as the conditions over here seem near perfect if I continue to mist at various points in the day. Again, thanks for the advice! :)

Back