What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with nepenthes and identification

New to CP cultivating here, my favourite type are the nepenthes and i bought 2 of them recently, although i dont know what species they are i am having problem with their leaves as there are some brown spot appearing in the leaves. Anyone know what is happening?
I water them daily and put them in my rooftop(lots of sun, i live in singapore so humidity shouldnt be a problem too), not sure what is the potting mix, i just got them and have not done any repotting at all.

the 1st plant i have for around 2 weeks, seems to be pitchering quite well
this is the leaf top view
IMG_0108.jpg

this is the leaf underneath
IMG_0109.jpg

this is the pitcher
IMG_0110.jpg

the 2nd plant i have for around 1 week seems to not have a new pitcher for some time, but a new one is growing now
this is the leaf top view
IMG_0105.jpg

this is the leaf underneath
IMG_0106.jpg

this is the pitcher
IMG_0107.jpg

Few posibilities i think might be the problem is root rot(to much watering?), too much sun(i just brought them home, when i bought them, they wasnt placed in fullsun) or pests/fungus? Someone help plz and what should i do?

The coloration on the leaves looks ok to me, some leaves in my terrarium look worse.
The plants will adapt soon enough imho.

Hmmm I would say N. spathulata x hirsuta for the first plant. No thoughts about the 2nd one...

the brown spots looks scary enough to me

Just looks like a little sunburnt to me. If they were grown in low light then moved to full sun they will look like that. The next set of leaves should adjust and have a beautiful pink/red hue.

-Jeremiah-

anyone know what the 2nd one is?

hmmmm no clue but its great i love it

What I've seen as sunburn doesn't look like that; usually sunburn will only affect the top side of the leaf.

I suggest taking a wet cotton ball or swab and run it under the underside of the leaf to check for any spider mites. To me, the damage at the underside of the leaf looks like spider mite damage.

Like clue says, usually when you have that brownish looking stuff under the leaf it's a sign of pests. I just got done treating all my plants for something similar earlier this month. In my case it was thrips + some kind of mite but I'm not seeing the little dark dots or silvery damage associated with thrips so it's possibly a mite problem.

I would contact the guy if possible and ask if he treated the plant recently with a systemic insecticide. Otherwise a treatment or even a follow up treatment (if he already did) could be helpful.

By the way, that first plant has really cool pitchers. Nice find.

The brown under the leaf looks alot like Thrips damage to me.

Doesnt thrips attack newly formed leaves? My new leaves seems fine to me

Looks OK to me,
Maybe watering/Light issue?
I could be wrong though I lost some HL neps to high heat last summer.

A good test for spider mites is to soak a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol and swipe it on the underside of the leaf. If you get little red dots on the cotton ball, continue until you have swiped all surfaces as much as possible. Repeat every few days until the spider mites are gone. I have only had one spider mite infestation on rooted cutting I received and I was able to get rid of it that way. Unfortunately it killed a few of my other cuttings before I realized what was going on. I don't have too many bug infestations since mine are not exposed to outside elements other than new material coming in.

The second plant looks like it has veitchii in it.

EDIT: I should mention I am not an expert. There is probably a better way to deal with spider mites if you happen to have them. And the fact I said there it looks like veitchii means there is probably zero chance it has veitchii in it. :)

Last edited:
Well to me it looks like a spathulata and I agree that it looks sun burnt so mabe you should put it in partial light or a terrarium

it should be the hybrid of N.spathulata x hirsuta s

It's sun burnt. Do you expose it to full sunlight for 3 hours +? In singapore, the sun is very strong, sudden change of light to that intensity will burn the plant's leaves. I suggest you move it to a slightly more shaded area. Don't worry, the plant will do just fine. I have doubts about spider mites because singapore is a tropical country and if I remember correctly from the savage garden, spider mites thrive in hot and dry conditions. Never had spider mites in Malaysia before, so singapore should be safe too.

sunburn usually also shows up on the underside of leafs on my plants.

sunburn usually also shows up on the underside of leafs on my plants.

I still don't see the sunburn on the plant being the cause of the discoloration on the underside of the leaves; I see sunburn on the top of the plant's leaves, as it affects the entire strip, but the bottom of the leaf is what worries me. Ask anyone who's had a pest problem with thrips or spider mites - the damage would seem all too familiar. I'm no expert, but I've dealt with a lot of spider mites outbreaks, and that looks like pest damage on the underside. I've also burnt a lot of plants while acclimating them. I would like to know the growing conditions of this plant to narrow down the options further.

I'm not saying that the sunburn's not there, but I do see mite damage as well. I've lost a good bunch of plants to scale and spider mites; I feel as though more people don't need to go through loosing a good chunk of their hard-earned collections.

Also, did you try swabbing the plant yet? That would give us conclusive answers right away.

TL;DR: There is sunburn and (to my eye) pest damage.

some updates of my possibility infected with pest plant

this is how it looks like now
IMG_0113.jpg

this is an old leaf i just cut off
IMG_0112.jpg

underneath the same leaf i took photo off earlier
IMG_0114.jpg

another leaf
IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

currently i have 3 pitcher beginning to brown in the plant

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51 PM ----------

does the damage point to thrips or spider mites? i have been keeping the humidity high so i can chase away the spider mites. What should i do now?

Back