What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northiana Question

Alright so I've had a SG northiana for 2 years now. Slowwww and steady...

It currently reside in my little indoor greenhouse with temps from 65-78ish and +60% humidity at all times with good air circulation. I'm kind of concerned with keeping it too moist...

I'm considering moving it to my outside location for better lowland temperatures as well as better moisture circulation in the media. Should I be worried at all with shock? It being too small to handle such a move? Too risky to expose to such 'wild' conditions in comparison to keeping it in isolation indoors???

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

I'd just watch to make sure it isn't getting too much light. I see you're in NY, which means you'll probably have to bring it indoors in the winter. My N. x Ventrata even skips a few beats when I switch mine between indoor/outdoor growth with the seasons, it might be a little rough on such a delicate plant as N. Northiana (which I grow indoors under grow lights).

Decisions decisions

Very interesting article I read here

Its now making me question my media, eventhough it was indicated media didnt really have too much influence...

I've had good luck with mine so far, so I'll tell you my recipe for success.

1. It likes a media that is very airy...I have mine in a perlite, charcoal, lava rock, fine orchid bark mix. I also have some LFS as a topdressing to hold in moisture.

2. it seems happiest in temps of 80F day and 70F night give or take a few degrees in either direction. it seems to need high humidity to do it's best, 70% or better.

3. It hates direct sunlight...seriously, it's the vampire of the nepenthes world, direct sun fries it and at the very least stunts it's growth...bright indirect light is best.

Decisions decisions

Very interesting article I read here

Its now making me question my media, eventhough it was indicated media didnt really have too much influence...

That was a informative read indeed! Thank you!

Hmmm how Could I provide shade. I think thats my problem. Check out where its sitting after my recent rearrangement... (furthest one on left)

IMG_20110605_183723.jpg

Trying to think what I could come up with to provide some shade :scratch:

I hang pots in trees. :)

Unless he lived in LL tropics, I don't think there would be enough humidity outside to sustain northiana.

LOL. Hmm, maybe a large over sized drink umbrella to provide some shade, thanks!

Unless he lived in LL tropics, I don't think there would be enough humidity outside to sustain northiana.

For sure, I mean Long Island has quite its share of humid days in heat of summer, but having those sometimes dryyy hottt summer days was something I was concerned about when I was thinking of moving it outside...

LOL. Hmm, maybe a large over sized drink umbrella to provide some shade, thanks!

For sure, I mean Long Island has quite its share of humid days in heat of summer, but having those sometimes dryyy hottt summer days was something I was concerned about when I was thinking of moving it outside...

Yeah..one major rule to keeping northiana, it's that it likes humidity..alot of it. I've seen them grown in low humidity, but it's rare and very hard to do successfully.

Hi Greg, I've been attempting to grow northiana for a really long time (lost 5 in the past :() and now, I've kinda got the hang of it. So I'll share a few of my experiences growing this stunning but fussy nepenthes....

If you intend to move the plant, I would say the number one problem you will have to deal with is HUMIDITY. Change in humidity will easily stunt or set back the plant for a while. Otherwise, this nep can tolerate changes in other growing factors quite well. I would advise against direct sunlight (though the plant certainly can take it). Recently, I've allowed my northiana (about your size) to bask under direct tropical sunlight from 3-5 pm for nearly two months. You'll get smaller leaves, smaller pitchers and slower growth but more colourful pitchers :). To me, I find that the perfect light level is in the borderline between indirect and direct sunlight. Of course, high humidity is a MUST no matter whatever the conditions. I notice you grow your northiana in a pot that has a bigger diameter than the plant? I'm doing the same :-D the relative humidity will be higher as the moisture in the surface of the media around the plant will evaporate slowly.

It's always important to remember that northiana's utmost important requirement would be humidity. Media would be another problem, but I think you've got the right mixture of media, don't you? After all, you've been growing well for two years, eh?

As for temperature, my conditions are lowland to intermediate. It's the dry and hot season now in Malaysia and daytime temperatures easily rocket into 33 C. Previously, during the raining season, daytime temperatures were 28 C and intermediate temperatures in the night. And? Bleh! It doesn't really complain! As long as it's not too cold, this nep will tolerate temperature well.

Just remember, humidity is really important for nepenthes northiana. Other growers might dispute this, but I stand firm in my opinion! Significant drops in humidity will result in the plant going into stasis for a long long time. Good luck!

Hello Rokosauros, thanks for the great input. Humidity is definitely one thing I do well for this plant. Based on what I've read here, elsewhere, and from you, I think I'm deciding against bringing the plant outside as the humidity levels vary way to much where I live.

That being said, I think I may be providing too much direct light. I'm no lighting expert but I think having it in its location about an est 18inches from a 6400k 125w bulb, surrrounded by mylar for better light reflection, may be stunting its growth. I'll try to find a pic of what it looked like when I got it to find out from you, or someone, if I'm on the right track as far as its progression of growth.

I saw somewhere they were talking about the northiana liking a more alkaline media such as limestone or perlite and at the time mine was in pure lfs so I repotted it. I put in strait perlite but left about 1/2" lfs as a top dressing and to keep it slightly acidic. It has been in the new media for 2 or 3 months now and is absolutely loving it new conditions, plus the vigor has increased and the plant although still small is looking really healthy. Hope this helps all those with the northianas :-D

Thanks, can't believe you just posted that as I was just reading about using less acidic medium. I hate to have to repot but I think it would be for the best as right now its purely LFS...

Nice, yeah mine showed up potted in pure lfs and looked healthy but after several months in the lfs it started dropping leaves. After I repotted into the perlite it filled back out and started making gains in leaf and pitcher size. Repotting can be a royal pain especially if it is in lfs but I'm really glad I took the time and care to repot the northiana.

I saw a photo of someone growing one in pure perlite, but I can't find it ??? I think it was in an undrained glass vase, but don't hold me to that. Pretty sure it was pure perlite though.

I've also seen a member here called cindy, that grows hers quite successfully in burnt earth...

Yeah I saw that, interesting.... Must be hard to keep moist no?

Nepenthes_northiana_cutting12032011-1.jpg

The previous photo is exactly how I have mine potted now except in a plastic pot and slightly less moss. I keep it in a terrarium with high humidity 75% or more, I water twice a week and have never had an issue with keeping it moist.

Back