What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northiana Question

Hi Greg, as it happens, many people in Malaysia and Singapore are starting to turn towards burnt earth as the solution for media-fussy nepenthes. I'm using this method for all my neps. Usually, I use a ratio of 70% burnt earth and 30% peat moss (though it can be 60% burnt earth and 40% peat moss sometimes). This seems to work for all my nepenthes and in a tropical weather, it can last for 3 days straight without watering. If your area is cooler and more humid, you can go straight up to 4 days without watering. Burnt earth is also ridiculously cheap (for an amount roughly a large sized cinema popcorn, it's around $0.30-0.60). However, I'm not sure whether it is actually available in your countries. If not, then go for perlite and a mix of orchid bark. Good luck!

Burnt Earth isn't available here in the U.S, but I have found that aquatic plant soil is incredibly similar. I have a thread on here recording my results growing this plant, and have lots of information about the media I used there. A quick search should turn it up.

073.jpg

I've taken a photo of my northiana :boogie: As you can see, I used limestone and charcoal with some tree bark for my media. It may look like a topping, but actually the burnt earth and perlite have simply just 'flowed' through the bigger pieces of the limestone, charcoal and tree bark, leaving them as the topping now :-)). FYI, no difference in the plant's growth or any benefit. Also, I put some normal white pebbles at the base of the pot as my original intention was to simulate the growing environment of northiana (it grows on cliffs and has a limestone base, right?) So far, the plant is too small for any conclusions, but I've found that the pebbles provide excellent drainage.

Back