Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Ideal medium for nepenthes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A very good basic mix is course perlite and cocohusk chips. The Sri Lankan chips are salt safe, but I would soak several times with water changes to be safe. You can actually find brands used for reptiles at PetCo and PetSmart that come from Sri Lanka.
    When soaked, the coco chips will actually expel water like a sponge when squeezed. They are almost like an intermediate component between bark and sphagnum.
    Since a lot of people are recomending live sphagnum, have you thought about locating a native source that is used to your temperatures?

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I the only place I can keep Live Sphagnum was int he bog. Any place else and it will not grow for me. IDK what it is. Sphag would over flowith in the bog. Cleaned out a full walmart bag one summer. I wish i could find those coco chips like you were talking about sponge like. Have gotten some plants in the stuff but I think it is ordered. The mix I made with the list above looks great to me. Smells good too. Hopefully keep critters away.

NepGuy Funny you should mention earthworms. I found those jokers in the bogs I just got done cleaning out. I took all the plants out and cleaned them devided them and have to sort them tomorrow, but I found 4 worms in there. IDK how in the heck they got up there! The bogs are 4 feet off the ground!!! A solution for pesky earthworms is 7 liquid! I sprayed my yard one day at my old trailer. Must have been 8 years ago now. The next day the most horrible stench filled the yard. Upon inspection I notices a ton of earthworms came to the surface and died! It was because of the 7 liquid I sprayed in the yard. I have yet to have it harm a plant when I needed to use. provided I flushed after. Killed a colony of ants trying to make nest in an orchid pot. LOL

---------- Post added at 01:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 AM ----------

And here are the ingredients I decided to go with.

Ceder, LFS, Medium Tree fern, Orchid mix, Lava rocks

Made a great moisture retaining, free draining mix.

Now lets hope the truncata makes a rebound.

The root system wasn't looking too great after taken out of the heavy peat mix.

I am hoping it sticks around long enough to come around, but I am already on the lookout for a replacement. Some of the new fancy ones are looking nice.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your mix looks very much like ours here in south Florida--good drainage yet retaining moisture. That should work fine for most Neps.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345