What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. khasiana Flowering. Is anyone else's doing the same?

Wire Man

Sphagnum Guru
One of the Nepenthes khasianas at Meadowview in currently in the process of opening two flowers. Does anyone else have this plant, and, more importantly, is it in flower? We do not know the sex of the plant yet, but we will find out very soon. We would like to make as much use of the pollen or ova since this is such a rare and endangered plant. If ours ends up being a male we will freeze the pollen and ship it to anyone who has a female.

Please respond as soon as you can.

Graham,

The Nepenthes khasiana plants at Meadowview I believe are females. I did an inventory of all the plants in the Nepenthes collection this past winter and remember seeing a tag in the pot.

Maybe check the pot for a tag, might be in there?

I'll look. The tags are buried in the pots fairly deep. Are all of them female?

The N. eymae is inflating a new pitcher right now, and a nice one at that.

We're excited about that one! Richard wants to know when soon is. He's basically drooling over that photo.

I think you'll be pleased with how the greenhouse is doing. The maxima 'tentena' is growing very quickly and putting up some nice little uppers, the Red Dragon pretty much decimated the ant colony, N. bicalcarata is inflatind 2 new pitchers, N. fusca has put up 1 new pitcher, and reinwardtiana is doing very well. Basically, everything is growing. The northiana and rafflesiana are taking their time developing new pitchers.

Great.

Graham, post a picture of the developing flower so maybe I or someone else here can ID the sex early on... If you get a chance. Great pictures by the way on various threads here.

I'll upload it tonight if I can. The individual flowers are visible. Thanks! They better be good photos with the camera I'm using.

Back