What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just looking at your plants , very nice , the home land humidity and conditions , will work to your advantage , have been over there many times , seen many thousands of plants all there there and Borneo , , you grow some high land plants there too , wow i see there doing well , , i grow them in my conditions too well , goes to show they are very adaptable plants . you can grow all low land plants there with ease, they should grow super fast too especially now rainy season is starting again , last Nov was on a nep tour with Chin Lee , for 2 weeks from Kuching to Mt.kinabalu all through the high lands , he is one of the best people i have ever met and his knowledge of plants and animals is astounding , night tours are just amazing,
and how great growing there
J

Thank you snapperhead! I agree especially on the point that nepenthes are hardy and more adaptable than what most people think they are.

Anyways, here's some updates on the tinier neps in my collection. Mass, don't miss this out :-))

001-5.jpg

Newly popped N veitchii 'Hose Mountain'
007-5.jpg

N veitchii x platychila
011-5.jpg

N thorelii x truncata 'EP'
009-5.jpg

N xCoccinea
006-6.jpg

N chaniana, I've literally been ignoring this guy for a month :blush:
004-9.jpg

Fangtastic N bicalcarata makes its first pitcher after I let the soil go bone dry on a 30*C+ hot day.
002-7.jpg

N northiana. Slow grower.
008-3.jpg

N rafflesiana and N ampullaria young plants growing amongst some ferns.
013-4.jpg

This should be renamed N vinetrata :0o:
014-4.jpg

N xDyeriana interior design. Notice the mosquitos.
010-6.jpg

015-4.jpg

Fresh N lowii x campanulata pitcher with interior.
017-3.jpg

016-2.jpg

Old N lowii x campanulata pitcher with interior. Mmm, red.
005-9.jpg

Last but not least, N burbidgeae looking 'almost' natural :-D

Apologies over the grainy pictures. I just found out what a camera's sensitivity does on a picture :jester: Hope you enjoyed!

That's an interesting blend of species you've got going on there, and they are all looking good. I particularly like lowii x campanulata's latest pitcher, that may be one of the more mature or at least interesting looking pitchers I've seen from that cross yet.

Thanks Dex! A thing I notice about my one and only lowii x campanulata, the blood red interior develops only when water fills up and covers the inside walls. You can see a distinct boundary between the peristome and red inside walls in the old lowii x campanulata pitcher. That's the maximum water level that fills the pitcher whenever I hose my neps.

Yeah it caught my eye because it appears that the peristome is getting increasingly more diminished? I think that's cool.

Checked the shadehouse today and snapped a few photos, nothing much other than the usual :)

005-8.jpg

Definitely starting to resemble a mature veitchii already.
007-6.jpg

N truncata 'lowland'
008-4.jpg

N burbidgeae, sooo cute!!
009-6.jpg

N chaniana. I think it makes a good parent in hybrids because of the beautiful pitcher shape and it's compact leaf growth.
012-4.jpg

N xCoccinea
013-5.jpg

An achievement for me, live sphagnum bog finally starts growing in hot, lowland tropical environment.
014-5.jpg

And awwww heck, one typical VFT does not warrant a new thread in the VFT section so it'll have to share with my nepenthes :-D

Cheers

A tiresome rearrangement proved fruitful when I now have enough space to put a seedling tray and at least a dozen more plants! :-D

001-6.jpg

Beautiful collection. All plants look great. BTw...ur burbidgeae is a burbidgeae x edwardsiana.

Hi vraev, really? I had my suspicions, some things about the pitcher (eg. the colouration) did not seem to fit the description of pure burbidgeae species, but after searching for photos of small burbidgeae photos and seeing the variation, I decided to wait for the plant to grow a little more before actually determining whether it is burbidgeae or burbidgeae x edwardsiana.

There's a strong possibility it could be latter because this plant originated from MT :) do you have any pictures or reasons why mine would be burbidgeae x edwardsiana?

Some pictures for the day.....

001-7.jpg

N. thorelii x truncata
002-8.jpg

N. x Dyeriana. I never get enough from this guy :lol:
003-10.jpg

N. truncata x spectabilis. Long lasting pitchers.
004-11.jpg

N. truncata 'lowland'
005-10.jpg

N. truncata x (ventricosa x aristolochioides). This isn't an easy grower for me, it pitchers on and off between MONTHS. I suspect the aristo in it makes the hybrid fussy in my lowland/intermediate conditions.
006-8.jpg

Pink! N. sibuyanensis pitcher close to popping.
007-8.jpg

N. lowii x campanulata starting to colour up. This pitcher would colour up faster if in direct bright sunlight.
008-5.jpg

N. truncata x veitchii H/L striped

dang... love the light colored truncata x veitchii HL! Wonder if it'll darken up like mine as it get's bigger.

IMG_9225-1.jpg

Mine doesn't :( the most it does is the peristome becomes a little vermilion coloured after a while. Love yours though :). I'm hoping mine shows more stripes in the far future.

haha.. far future. Your funny Ed.

Hi vraev, really? I had my suspicions, some things about the pitcher (eg. the colouration) did not seem to fit the description of pure burbidgeae species, but after searching for photos of small burbidgeae photos and seeing the variation, I decided to wait for the plant to grow a little more before actually determining whether it is burbidgeae or burbidgeae x edwardsiana.

There's a strong possibility it could be latter because this plant originated from MT :) do you have any pictures or reasons why mine would be burbidgeae x edwardsiana?

Hi Edward,

Just saw your post now.

But the reason I say this is because...this is a N. burbidgeae

6464632703_cc0dac7cd6.jpg

This is a N. burbidgeae x edwardsiana

5400536824_a97567395d.jpg

Also...the leaf structure. Your plant looks identical to mine when it was smaller.

hope this helps,

Varun

Last edited:
Your plants look great man! I love how the veitchii (and its hybrids) already look so cool when so small! I've got a veitchii x platychila not far behind yours, its great to see what the next pitcher should look like :lol:

@vraev I can't say I'm taken aback, I was already suspecting the parent's identity. Your picture proof further strengthen my suspicion and doubts. I will wait for the plant to mature first however. Can't say anything when the little doodlers still small :lol:

@CreatureTom Thank you! The veitchii x platychila just won't stop growing better with each leaf for me!

Size matters. :alien:-
001-9.jpg

Hmmm....this would make an excellent glove :lol:-
003-13.jpg

x dyeriana is my guess.. ???

Heh yeah :) Or is it that not obvious?

Very cool post ! I am enjoying the pics of the Iowii x Campanulata ! That sounds like a cool mix of highland & lowland, should be a pretty tough plant.
Dan

Back