What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie looking for some advice

Well I am sure everyone loves these questions....but unfortunately I am having a heck of a time finding solid info. for specifically what I am wanting to do. As the title says I am new to nepenthes but find them incredibly intriguing. I have learned from many years of doing saltwater tanks, if you dont know what your doing something is going to die. So here is what I got. I want to know if there is something simple to start off with. I do not want to get into a terrarium unless I fall in love with these guys. I have a nice big porch window that is sufficient enough for me to grow orchids. We keep our apartment around 72ish degrees but I dont know the temp. at the window (night or day but im guessing theres a change?). My orchids are on a table I made that act like a humidity tray of sorts which is where I would like to place some nepenthes. What are my options? Are they out of my league. I am not an experienced grower but I have yet to kill a plant and would love a new addition to my collection. I have read the N. ventricolas and N. sangurea (assuming I spelled them correctly) are beginners would I have success with something like theses?

Thanks

>zdawgnight

You pretty much have it down as far as I can tell. Try a local Lowe's, you may be able to find the Nepenthes you're looking for. If you'd like to support this forum, you can order plants from Andrew (owner of TerraForums) here: http://www.flytrapshop.com/servlet/the-Nepenthes/Categories

You've picked some very good starter species! Congrats on researching those beforehand.

N. sanguinea, ventricosa, 'Judith Finn', 'Miranda', xVentrata, etc are all very easy and forgiving. You should be able to grow them on your porch or on a sunny windowsill without problems, if they're already acclimatized to household humidity.

If there is not much of a temperature change on your windowsill, an intermediate nepenthes or lowland nepenthes might be your best bet....
If there is a temperature drop of atleast 10-15 degrees, you should be able to grow most highlanders with a high temp of 70-80 degrees....

Good beginner Nepenthes include:
Nepenthes ventricosa, Nepenthes sanguinea, Nepenthes truncata, Nepenthes xVentrata, Nepenthes x'Miranda', Nepenthes maxima, Nepenthes fusca, Nepenthes reinwardtiana, Nepenthes rafflesiana, Nepenthes x 'Lady Pauline' or the reverse 'Exotic Lady', or any other number of hardy hybrids....

high humidity is not necessary for a good portion of Nepenthes, however there are exceptions and you should always do research on the cultivation methods required for each species....

Remember that many hybrids made with maxima, ventricosa, or truncata (or any other of the really easy species to grow) will also be very hardy and tolerant to different temperature ranges..

however in my experience, contrary to what Pet has said above, N. 'Judith Finn' is not exactly a forgiving plant, and will only pitcher and grow well in good highland conditions... other people have different stories, but many cant stand that plant (and i am right there with them LOL)

however in my experience, contrary to what Pet has said above, N. 'Judith Finn' is not exactly a forgiving plant, and will only pitcher and grow well in good highland conditions... other people have different stories, but many cant stand that plant (and i am right there with them LOL)

I'm an awful grower, and it pitchers fine on both my windowsill and a random tank it's now in. I would definitely recommend it as a beginner plant, though maybe I've just been unwittingly providing decent conditions :)

SK mentioned it, I think 'Lady Pauline' would be perfect for you. Prolific pitcherer, hardy and forgiving.

Thank you everyone for the awesome suggestions and advice. I will post soon because its time to go get me some pitchers!

Looks like I am going to be joining the ranks of Nepenthes owners tomorrow. I am getting my shipment of 3 types and am quite excited. I bought a N. sanguinea, N. maxima Tentena, and a N. ventricosa x talangensis. I think I am pretty much setup but was wondering if there was some last minute things I might have missed since I am a beginner? I just bought a fan to drop temps a bit in the evening hours as well.

I wouldn't point the fan directly onto the plants, it could drop the humidity low enough to dry them out. Also, don't panic if they lose all their pitchers shortly after you get them. It is normal for neps to go through an adjustment period where they look like crap for a while as they adjust to you conditions. Once they do, let them be. I've found neps hate change. The neps you chose are are easy so you should get good results.

Other than that, read around here for tips. They like clean water (so know you water quality! very important!), your planting media will depend on your conditions, but they are generally not too picky with it as long as it doesn't dry out, nor stay wet and soggy. Be patient, after a couple months when they pitcher for you, you'll be hooked.

2011-07-14124456.jpg

2011-07-14124414.jpg

2011-07-14124428.jpg

2011-07-14124437.jpg

2011-07-14124447.jpg

2011-07-14124509.jpg

WOO finally made it here!

Back