What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes clipeata x ventricosa

I received this plant late last year as a basal cutting from our beloved Adnedarn in a small trade.... It has finally started to show its true colors with a nice trap....

Previously the traps have looked similar to this previous trap
July2011069.jpg

Now here are a few shots of the new trap, it really looks a lot like its mother...

July2011066.jpg

July2011070.jpg

July2011068.jpg

July2011077.jpg

July2011073.jpg

July2011072.jpg

July2011071.jpg

July2011065.jpg

I think i will update this thread as the plant grows to show progress...

nice, I love clipy anything

Oh, it's a secksi little thing! Love it! :drool:

Right on! Hopefully you'll see some peltate action as it matures. ;)

So, if there is a female N. clipeata, than it would seem that finding a male would be the issue? or is it that the two just have never flowered at the same time?

I was under the impression that finding a female N. clipeata would be a godsend for the species. :scratch:

So, if there is a female N. clipeata, than it would seem that finding a male would be the issue? or is it that the two just have never flowered at the same time?

I was under the impression that finding a female N. clipeata would be a godsend for the species. :scratch:

N. clipeata x ventricosa is an Exotica hybrid, so somewhere in the past, Exotica either obtained a female clipeata in their collection or had access to a flowering female. There are male clones of the species in cultivation; two of the three clones Wistuba has are known males.

On the subject of flowering, it's my understanding that N. clipeata takes quite a while to mature to flowering age. I've heard that 10 years isn't slow. Since they take so long to mature (and probably aren't the most prolific flower-ers), it's not likely to have two plants flowering at the same time to make seed. Oh, and you won't have a female one unless it was poached.

It seems that there are some Japanese clones that are in fact female as well.

Anyways, that plant is a beauty. This is one of the few F1 N. ventricosa hybrids that doesn't take on a strong N. ventricosa shape.

Not sure how many clones of this hybrid are available. Here is an EP grown pitcher of a rooted cutting of clipeata x ventricosa. Something to look forward to - my plant has actually acclimatised and put out pitchers since I received it (very white - don't seem to have inherited much colour at all from ventricosa) but unfortunately it seems I forgot to take a photo of them.

Not sure how many clones of this hybrid are available.

There's dozens of clones of N. clipeata x ventricosa. Exotica releases seedgrown clones, so they're all different. After the initial releases, they probably take cuttings from their select clones.

Oh ok. I've only ever seen clipeata x ventricosa released as cuttings, wasn't sure if there were seed grown plants released :)

Back