What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cayenne Powder as Bird Repellant?

Adam

Sarracenia Collector
Recently the birds have been indulging on my nep spaghnum so much that I need to repot every single one I've had outside. I read on the ICPS forum that you could use cayenne powder for Sarracenia for squirrel prevention. I was wondering if it would be fine to use on Neps, and if it would even work.
Thanks,
Adam

Birds can't taste the chemical that makes hot peppers hot....chilies are actually a favorite food of many species.

Birds can't taste the chemical that makes hot peppers hot....chilies are actually a favorite food of many species.

Aww :( What else can I use then? I would prefer not to use bird netting because that is too compicated.

What about some of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Charcoal-Companion-10-Inch-Grilling-Skewers/dp/B001IWOSCU/

Protect a pot or mini-bog by sticking some of them half-length into the soil slantways, sharp pin outside.

Birds don't like that, I'm using this method to protect my mini-bogs against blackbirds.

I picked some up to use last night.
I would put them in my main bog where there's some spaghnum, but I would probably fall and... yeah.

Now, I was wondering whether I should repot my Sp. 1. It was last potted 2 years ago, but it looks healthy. However, the birds took some spaghnum and a root came off with it... I'm thining I should, however, it's growing very rapidly and I don't want to interrupt it. Any suggestions?

Back