What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shrinking Pitcher Size

alrite good i think your plant is just a tempermental one

I had a N. x 'Ventrata' cutting in a peaty mix, and it pitchered pretty well (inside under lights) until I coffe'd it. It shut down, basically, which was weird. It wasnt until I repotted it back in mid-May, in the same media you're suggesting for yours, and stuck it outside did it start growing again. It now has two nice pitchers on it and is working on its third, and the leaves are getting like seven inches long!

Nepenthes will simply throw out reduced pitchers from time to time, almost without exception in my experience; and my compost is about as "airy" as it can get. One of my N. truncata, capable of producing 45 cm pitchers, threw out two this spring only about 7 cm each.

The new crop of them looks far more promising . . .

I just repotted it, not an easy task. It's not as upright as it was before, but the potting medium is much airier. The peat was pretty dense when I removed it. Fingers crossed for improved results.

May take awhile while it acclimates especially if very many roots were broken, best of luck.

I disturbed the roots as little as possible, but got quite a lot of them free from the peat. It's not dead yet, so that's a plus.

It's dropped all but one of its pitchers. I think it's forming new ones, but I'm not too terribly sure.

My D. adelae is also having some trouble. The newest leaves are turning black before they uncurl. There is a spider in the terrarium, that's the only change that's been made in there.

i just repotted my ventrata as well a couple days ago and in response more pitchers started balooning but the danm chipmunks got in the pot so well see what happens ill half to grab some soda and my air gun and get me some ground squirrel lol duces hope your plants do well

I moved into my new apartment a few weeks ago. I think the plant is liking the conditions. It's started another basal and is unfolding new leaves. No signs of pitchers yet. I do have it in a humidity tray now.

I agree as well. Humidity and lighting along with any root disturbance are the main causes for change in pitcher size. I never had pitcher size go down with feeding. It only progressively gets bigger. Change in pitcher size also happens due to temperature stress. I have a macrophylla and villosa that was making progressively bigger pitchers and then suddenly...made pitchers 1/4 their size in peak summer/early autumn. I am sure it will get better as winter gets going.

Back