What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going on vacation, what to do?

mikefallen13

Mr. veitchii
Hello,
I'm leaving for vacation tonight but my only problem is I have nobody to water my neps. Because of this I think what I'm going to do is set them in shallow trays with about one inch of water (1/2" for plants with a mix with a lot of LFS in it) I'm only going to be gone for a week and they are going to stay in my mini greenhouse with the humidifier and fans running so humidity should stay pretty high. My neighbor will turn of the lights at night and refill the humidifier when empty. I would let my neighbor water them but she kinda killed a few orchids the last time i let her water my plants and Id rather not risk losing over $500 in nepenthes from lack of water or too much. Do you think this would be OK because they might be a little wet but I'd rather them be slightly wet rather than bone dry or drowning. Your imput is appreciated!

Aww, should've asked this sooner. I could have babysat yours. I hope they turn out well.
I think that sounds pretty good. The second mine get bone try (hasnt happened in a year) They always die immediately, so make sure they stay wet.
Where you going? If it's to NC I could direct you to soome cp places ;)

If it helps, I went down to Daytona Beach in January for a week and just had my lights and ultrasonic fogger on a timer and when I got back, the only thing that looked really bad was my Heliamphora. The moss was completely bleached white, but the plant was fine. I made sure everything was as soaked as possible before I left though...

Hope this helps!!
CJ

Hey Adam! Actually I'm going up to the northern tip of Michigan and I didn't think about asking you next time I'll remember to ask Id definently rather have you taking care of them than leaving them alone.

Hey Adam! Actually I'm going up to the northern tip of Michigan and I didn't think about asking you next time I'll remember to ask Id definently rather have you taking care of them than leaving them alone.

Ok. I'm just a little worried about taking care of your hamata for next time, but it should be fine.
Michigan, eh? I'm not good with cities in Michigan, but if you're near Mass I would shoot him a PM http://www.terraforums.com/forums/member.php?u=7760

1/2" for plants with a mix with a lot of LFS in it

When I leave on a trip I fill up the water tray that the nepenthes are in.
They are always fine when I come back, so I wouldn't worry about drowning them.
If your trip is ever longer than 2 weeks I would have someone water them (or automated RO misters) to prevent root rot.

What about setting up a wick system for the time your gone? Ive done this with orchids and it worked great for me. Two or 3 wicks per pot would probably work great. I used just regular string.

Sorry to revive this old thread. I've got the same problem here... my company is sending me off to Ireland for three weeks in October and I don't have anyone to water my plants. I've got some Neps, Dews, a few VFTs and a nice Sarr that I would hate to lose. If I flooded ALL my plants with 5-6" of water and let it evaporate over the three weeks, do you think I'd lose any of them??

EDIT: if there are automated watering/misting systems you'd recommend for a grow rack, please let me know where I can find more info!

There is a drip irrigation system that is available and many people with greenhouses use it. I would suggest that. 3 weeks is a long time. I have been away on vacations 2 times in the past 2 y and the first time, I lost irreplacable nepenthes seeedlings that I still regret. The second time however, I managed to get all of them to successfully make it. I basically put all of the pots in bags in the tank and just keep the regular system of misting 7times every day and the plants did fine for a week.

Be careful if you think about turning lights off and keeping it damp. I did that and my tenuis almost died. Too much of any variable (especially humidity/water) can cause big problems if you do not have others in sufficient quantity (light + air).

Ooh, definitely not turning lights/fans off. That'll keep running... not too worried about the electric bill :cool:

Even if I can get the plants through two weeks of solid watering and have them get a wee bit thirsty over the course of the third week, I'll take it. I've been mean to my plants over the past few months and have watered my Neps as infrequently as once a week, and they don't seem to upset about it (of course, I know I'm playing with fire there)

Back