What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spiders in my Nepenthes sanguinea

I just got my Nepenthes sanguinea I won on ebay.
It was pretty small and came from Florida. I live in Washington state.

I noticed one of the leaves curled together with a little fluffy white stuff sticking
out the end. I thought it would be a mealy bug. So I pealed open the leaf
and about jumped through the roof when I saw a strange looking spider protecting a
clutch of eggs. OK I do not know my Florida Spiders, here in Washington we get Black widows, Hobo spiders and Brown recluse.

All I am thinking is that I do not want a strange Florida spider running loose in my greenhouse.
After searching on google I think it was a Huntsman Spider about an 1-1/2 inches. I cut the leaf, sprayed with bifin and stepped on the spider and eggs.

OK, what's your thoughts, or reaction? It also seems pretty bad for the seller not to check their plants a little closer before sending them. I know I saw it pretty easy. Would you give neutral or negative feedback? Just thinking if this spider and it's eggs got loose in my greenhouse I would not be very happy.

Thank you for your comments.
Steverd

From wikipedia : "Many Australians will relocate huntsman spiders to the garden rather than kill them." But I understand your reaction, that spidy is rather big :)

From wikipedia : "Many Australians will relocate huntsman spiders to the garden rather than kill them." But I understand your reaction, that spidy is rather big :)

Interesting, but, I doubt that they would survive our winters outside. We stay in the teens
and single digits for weeks... But my greenhouse is heated to 60'f in the wintertime.

Steverd

---------- Post added at 10:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:07 AM ----------

Also I am not positive it was a Huntsman spider, because it was under 2 inches. Maybe it was just a small one or a small variety? I did a search on Google on Florida spiders that guard their egg sacs, and Huntsman spiders came up. Them I clicked images and it looked alot like this, BUT lighter in color.

Sparassidae%20Marie%20Knight%20Univeristy%20of%20Florida.jpg

Steve

Back