What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. x 'Judith Finn' loves to flower, but not to pitcher

Hey guys,

My N. x 'Judith Finn' bloomed once last fall, and a few months ago I noticed it was poised to bloom again. But I just noticed this morning that just one node higher, its sending up yet another scape! Also, an alternate growing tip growing up from the base (So, maybe a basal that formed above the media level) looks like its gonna start vining, which means it could flower soon too.

Two flower scapes
P8131294.jpg

Basal, getting ready to vine, and perhaps flower soon after
P8131295.jpg

Whole plant
P8131296.jpg

But as you can see, it has no pitchers. The main vine hasn't made one since it flowered last fall, and neither has the basal. So what gives? Why would a plant be happy enough to flower, profusely, but not pitcher? Or do Nepenthes do this sort of thing when they start to vine? (This is my first and only Nepenthes that I've had go from rosette to vine...)

Thanks for any and all input!!
Cj

P.S. Incidentally, if anyone wants some N. x 'Judith Finn' pollen, just PM me. Apparently I'm gonna have a lot of it!

Maybe it's at the end of its life. D:

Well this usually lack of pitchers is due to environmental factors but I've heard that Judith Finn just a very stubborn plant to pitcher

Low humidity is the most likely culprit....judith finn likes alot of it, very had to pitcher. The fact that it's flowering and doing well otherwise most likely had to do woth the fact that it gets so much sun...it's a very healthy plant....but the ambient humidity may just be too low for pitcher formation. Also keep in mind that some neps are reluctant to make uppers, so this may be the case with your plant.

Diddo what exo said. I've no problem getting mine to pitcher, but it's in 60%+ humidity all the time. Also, I have some neps that pitcher fine with lowers, but yep, uppers on the same plant are hit and miss.

Also keep in mind that some neps are reluctant to make uppers, so this may be the case with your plant.

That was the information I was looking for, thank you. Perhaps it will be happier when I take it back to college with me where it will live in the university's greenhouse for the winter. But with a shorter photoperiod :\ I can't wait until I get my own place where there's a higher chance that I'll get a set up not unlike Mass'... or Brokken's.

I had a Nepenthes Judith Finn back in my first Nep collection. It grew terribly until I put it in true HL conditions 70-80*F days 50*F nights and 80-90% humidity. After putting it in there it grew and pitchered very well I eventually traded it off at about 2+ ft in diameter it was taking too much of my space.

Back