What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

superthrive for propagation of neps

It's amazing how people can have so many opinions about things they have never given a chance and tried for themselves...

It's amazing how people can have so many opinions about things they have never given a chance and tried for themselves...
I find that people tend to state the benefits of certain products or techniques without actually doing a comparative experiment, e.g. growing two plants in the same conditions, one using the product and the other not. Without doing such makes any claim very difficult to quantify.

As Zhilin stated in the initial post, no conclusions can be drawn from the observations.

Last edited:
mobile, I absolutely agree with you. Certainly, I have tried a lot of things at least once that I have read from here. While I have noticed no harm and seen growth, it's never clear if what I tried made the growth better or worse since I never have a control. Any comments I make on the matter will usually come in the form of, 'I tried it, and didn't notice any ill affect.'

Whatever we may think about certain things like superthrive, coffee, milk, etc... to pass judgment without ever giving it a shot seems a bit asinine, but to each his own.

Anyway, sorry for derailing this thread.

Not to steal the topic from superthrive (which I use by the way, and have since i got hooked on bonsai many years ago) I had run an experiment with mychorz innoculant.
I was mixing a batch up for other plants and chose a "sacrifcial" dew and nep to try it on. The dew showed a fantastic surge of growth and overall "looked' much healthier than the control. Both were pots of mid-sized Drosera aliciae, divsions from the same plant and growing side byside in identical media and pot sizes.
My nep experiment was not as controlled. I have four neps growing in intermeadite conditions on the open orchid racks. I chose a simple orange sang as my victim. Within a week the poor thing was looking very unhappy. But now, three weeks after treatment it has suddenly gotten it's "groove" back and is surging ahead of it's rack mates in overall l"happy and healthy" looking.
Not very scientific I know. I usually use the innoculants for the veggies grown in pots and some of the orchids. Just thought I'd put it out here for others to see.

The only remotely scientific trial of superthrive on cp's was performed by Barry Rice a while back, "After six months of tests we could not detect any significant effect from SUPERthrive" although actually you might expect 'something' to happen as it contains the same plant auxin as many other commercial rooting compounds.

Last edited:
Back