What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. ventricosa rediscovered

Not that it was ever lost in the wild or cultivation, but N. ventricosa because of its common status in cultivation is oftentimes overlooked by CP hobbyists.

IMG_7297-2.jpg

It is a great beginner's plant, but once the next great Nepenthes species or hybrid is added to the collection, N. ventricosa can end up at the back of the shelf, seemingly forgotten, neglected and not nearly as appreciated as when it was the fresh new face in the collection.

IMG_7302-3.jpg

But if seen again through fresh eyes, this species truly does produce beautiful shapely pitchers, all the way from the hour glass pinching at the waist, to the slanting arched back of the upper portion of its pitchers.

IMG_7276-1.jpg

I have been taking the time to get reacquainted again with this lovely species, and have really been appreciating the splendid grace that this species offers.

IMG_7286-4.jpg

Rather than having this Nepenthes species become only a distant memory in my rearview mirror, i have chosen instead to revisit this underrated species with a renewed interest and have found that this is once again one of my favorite specimens in my whole collection. :cool:

dvg

I've always been a ventricosa advocate, even when many of the peeps around me are not, really an underated but amazing speces.

Nice plant -- and the first Nepenthes I ever owned; not a damn thing wrong with that species -- at all . . .

Ventricosa is a little like capensis... It looks beautiful under the right care while being cheap and easy to grow. Unfortunately those last two traits make it difficult to get respect for. Just like capensis you look a little like a fool for entering it in a contest... even though it usually outshines all the others. While people want amazing plants, they also want to have more than others... and plants are sometimes used as status symbols. And that's why so many people want that expensive, picky grower over the humble or beautiful capensis or ventricosa.

/end stating the obvious

Personally i've never been a fan of Ventricosa but I still make a point to admire my xVentrata regularly :)

I concur it is a great species plus it makes some awesome hybrids. :)

Wow, I love it! The reason mine is on the back of the shelf (actually in a hanging basket that just gets overlooked but taken care of) is cause it refuses to pitcher for me!

I really only like the porcelain and alba forms, I think the normal form is a little plain and I would definently go for a burkei over a normal ventricosa any day but I can't deny it has made some amazing hybrids

i luuve ventricosa

Gorgeous - whose clone, BE?

I do like the highly speckled varieties, but burkei stands out more to me, having more intense colors. They really curvy ventricosas are eye catching.

That is a beautiful N. ventricosa you have there dvg! I am envious.

I hope that my poor, neglected, abused and now pesticide laiden ventricosa can pull itself together and be half the plant that you have right there.

I find N. ventricosa to be sort of like my first love. It's the first one to teach about Nepenthes, nectar and of losing a plant. But it never truly leaves, it comes back again. And each time you visit ventricosa, there is still that connection, always there, growing. Plus, when it combines with other species, like your new loves and relationships, it always sets the tone, and reminds you that it, not the others, came first.

<3

Sweet post dvg. :banana2:

"Always there growing" for who? I can't grow N. ventricosa to save my life...

Most Neps are seemingly no problem but gimmie an N. ventricosa and apparently I will kill it within 6 months and maybe sooner. I don't know why, except unless it wants something between my HL tank and my LL tank temps, I can't imagine every single N. ventricosa I've had was diseased bad enough to slowly deform and die or out grow itself while other stuff lives on happily right next to it. The grass is always greener, I'm always envious of those Neps I can't grow and "common" as it is, it's not common for me, I suppose I'm the only one actually jealous of a well grown N. ventricosa! LOL

Very nice dvg! I'm quite fond of this species, I have three ventricosas, and some ventricosa hybrids!

I just love ventricosa, here's the latest pitcher on my biggest one.

DSC02941.jpg

Thez, it looks like EP's N. ventricosa k.

I love mine...I wish it loved me back a bit more so it looked more like yours

I have a couple of vents and I love them both. One of them grows on the windowsill with no problem at all, and the other under lights. So far, I actually like ventricosas better than my truncata black!

When I went to college for a couple semesters, I only had one carnivorous plant with me. My Nepenthes ventricosa thrived under a regular desk lamp. I got it in October 2007 and this is the plant in April 2008. It was happy under that lamp.

thisone2-3.jpg

I have to say i was really surprised by the number of comments you all put forth for a N. ventricosa thread.

And a lot of those comments weren't the usual replies, but were quite thoughtful.

Most of you who replied were N. ventricosa admirers, and that's great, some of you not so much, and that's okay too, as beauty really is in the eye of the beholder.

And Thez_yo, Carn12 is correct, this is an Exotica Plants N. ventricosa (k).

I'll try and post a few updates as future pitchers mature.

dvg

I happened to knock off the top leaf (along with the growing point) of my ventricosa 'Black Peristome'. Would it regrow from the stem, or form a ground basal?

I really like ventricosa, a lot. But wouldn't you know..I've owned it longer than any other cp I own and it has never done well for me. Supposed to be easy, but not for me. Yet heli's, and 'difficult' neps do fine for me. /shrug.

Back