What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copelandii cuttings

jbradt

stretch.... yawn...
Hey all,

I have an n. copelandii that's getting to be a bit too big for my rack. I wanted to take some cuttings of it, but it hasn't produced upper pitcher forms yet, and I don't want to miss out on seeing them. I've read that the cutting with the upper growth point in it will continue to progress and produce uppers, is this true? Also, I was told that copelandii is difficult to propagate; but everything that I've read implies that the cuttings should root fairly easily... anyone have personal experience with this plant in particular? The plant is doing great... it's produced 2 basal shoots, and I think it's ready to be cut but I've never done this before and don't want to do anything stupid. Also, would it be okay to separate the basals from the main plant at the same time as making cuttings, or would it be better off to wait and do that after the plant regroups from taking the cuttings?

thanks!

I don't grow N. copelandii, however it is generally true that upper vine portions of a Nepenthes cuttings will continue to grow pitchers of the age that they were taken. The top cuttings will continue to create intermediates/uppers on the new growth and the tip cutting will also be the first part to flower, always keep the tip if you can as this is the "oldest" (most mature) part of your plant.

Thanks, swords... that's pretty much just what I was hoping to hear! Any thoughts on the timing of separating the basals?

Some pics of the plant in question just for the fun of it.

n_+copelandii.JPG

n_+copelandii_basals.JPG

If you remove the longer vine to divide into a few cuttings I would just leave basals on the main rootstock. They will most likely kick into high gear and grow into good sized vines in short order which can then be removed, rooted and traded and by then even more basals should be springing up.

If you simply can not wait or have trade obligations to meet then I would at least let the basals get at least 5-7 fully formed leaves and pitchers before cutting them off, then remove the lowest few leaves to give you at least an inch or so of stem and 3 - 5 leaves to supply the new plant with energy, treat and root it the same as you would the tip cutting from the top of the vine.

I find that copelandii is very easy to propagate...I had a 90% cutting strike rate.

I find that copelandii is very easy to propagate...I had a 90% cutting strike rate.

Awesome! Any special tips?

Awesome! Any special tips?

Well...I find that they can take a while to root, and that they root fastest when kept in intermediate temps.

Well...I find that they can take a while to root, and that they root fastest when kept in intermediate temps.

Good to know, thanks!

N. copelandii takes quite a bit of length to produce uppers, and seeing as how your's is already a freak it could be an uncertain amount of time before it makes uppers.

N. copelandii takes quite a bit of length to produce uppers, and seeing as how your's is already a freak it could be an uncertain amount of time before it makes uppers.

It's killing me... I can't wait to see the uppers. They should be really cool!

Back