What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering N. burkei

My N. burkei just revealed its first flower spike. This is the true Borneo Exotics burkei from Halcon (BE-3254), and I'm hoping some other folks have mature ones in cultivation at or near the flowering stage. If not, I'm thinking this plant could also make some killer hybrids.

I only have crappy cell phone pics right now, but I'll update with better ones as the spike matures and I get an idea of the sex.

IMG_20110905_151722.jpg

IMG_20110905_151504.jpg

Maybe it's just me... but I always think of the male inflorescence as looking like a cluster of tiny penises...

I want one so badly! It looks like it likes your conditions.

I want one so badly! It looks like it likes your conditions.

It's absolutely thriving. It has another pitcher that size, and is working on 2 or 3 more. I'm considering removing a couple of the developing pitchers just so it doesn't flower itself to death.

I don't think you'll have to worry about it flowering to the point of exhaustion. We have a N. khasiana at Meadowview that has about 6 flowers on it and it's not slowing down.

What are you're conditions? I call dibs if you ever to any cuttings.

Quote:
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Physalaemus
Maybe it's just me... but I always think of the male inflorescence as looking like a cluster of tiny penises...
</td></tr></tbody></table>
Its just you.

--------------------

:lol:

Seriously that's awesome yours flowered! How large are the pitchers on a flowering size plant?

I wonder if any of BE's N. burkei clones are female?

Last edited:
What are you're conditions?

Unheated greenhouse. Check the weather in the 94019 ZIP, add 10-15F during the day due to greenhouse, and those are my conditions.

I call dibs if you ever to any cuttings.

I'll keep you in mind if I take any cuttings or pull basals. If you're just looking for a burkei, I have quite a few BE size smalls that I would be willing to trade. There are only 5 clones in the batch, so 20% chance it's this exact plant, and I haven't seen much variation among them to begin with.

How large are the pitchers on a flowering size plant?

They're 8-9". Better pics to come.

I wonder if any of BE's N. burkei clones are female?

Here's hoping.

I just remember that females don't have balls.

I would like to second wire mans dibs if you ever have more than one cutting to trade.
Lets hope this is a female...

Sending you a PM. I don't care about the size, as long as it's N. burkei.

Awesome plant! A couple of questions...

1. How old does a nep need to be before it will flower?
2. How can you tell the sex of the plant?

I just remember that females don't have balls.

true story...especially for neps....round flowers indicate that the plant is male, oval like flowers indicate that the plant is female (think shape of seedpods).

That is one gorgeous pitcher. So if I understand correctly, there are several BE clones of burkeii out there, and this is just one of them? In any case, more pics please!

female flowers N. ventricosa before they open
DSC_00280006_1.jpg

DSC_00300008_1.jpg

male flowers N. ventricosa before they open
DSC_00390015.jpg

1. How old does a nep need to be before it will flower?
Depends so much on the specific plant and conditions. General idea is highlanders are around 5-ish years until mature...often more, lowlanders are less. "Mature" does not mean "will produce flowers." I've had a maxima for around 15 years that still hasn't flowered.

2. How can you tell the sex of the plant?

HERE is a nice page illustrating the difference.

Here are a few higher resolution pics:

P1000879.JPG

P1000880.JPG

Place your bets:
P1000878.JPG

So pretty!!!!

Looks female to me, congrats :)

It's a girl! Flower pics to come.

Get in touch w/ me if you can provide highland Nepenthes pollen. Preferably species or primary hybrids. 50/50 split of any seed produced.

Back