What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

nightsky

Lover of Mountains
I decided to finally do as others and make a dedicated thread for my neps. It's a great idea, so why not. Sorry 'bout the harsh lighting in some, it's hard to adjust for the lights depending on the angle taken from. Some worth photographing atm:

EP's "Red Leopard"
6094755399_050e95aeb3_z.jpg

sanguinea (I suspect is has ramispina in it):
6095341574_abe873d883_z.jpg

truncata x ephippiata:
DSC_3733.jpg

DSC_3734.jpg

DSC_3735.jpg

sanguinea with truncata x ephippiata:
DSC_3737.jpg

plain jane young 'Judith Finn':
DSC_3672.jpg

newly opened veitchii x eymae with truncata x ephippiata:
DSC_3739.jpg

veitchii x eymae with 'Lady Pauline':
DSC_3742.jpg

older, smaller veitchii x eymae:
DSC_3679.jpg

ventricosa x inermis upper with spectabilis x aristo. both are staying very small for me:
DSC_3745.jpg

ventricosa x inermis, spectabilis x aristo, and sanguinea:
DSC_3747.jpg

spectabilis x aristo:
DSC_3659.jpg

couple thorelii x (spectabilis x northiana) pitchers and sanguinea:
DSC_3749.jpg

veitchii x lowii wistuba, still young but showing a lot of potential!
DSC_3684.jpg

DSC_3689.jpg

great looking plants. What kind of setup are you rockin'?

I'm wondering the same thing. Would love to see the setup. Your plants are looking awesome..

Omg WOW! :hail: Everything just looks *perfect*!

So vibrant!!! The sanguinea does look like it has ramispina in it, and I like it!

Beautiful plants!!! I especially like the thorelii x (spectabilis x northiana), it really caught my eye.

Thanks for sharing!!

Your neps are beautiful, and I see you also have the same Sang x ram that I have...very nice!

Thanks all. It's just a growrack placed inside a "growlab 145" ( partway down this page: http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/items.asp?Cc=GR&Bc ) in a spare room. It works well as I can keep it humidified plus there's plenty of room. I like that I can close it up so no light gets out also. Downside is it takes up a lot of space, and it can hold heat quite well.

Some of my neps aren't that great, but you won't see those :nono:

Looking great! I'm really fond of the spectabilis x aristolochioides upper.

I know the setup well. I built a CP display for a grow shop in town here. I ended up going with the 145L, since they wanted something to extravagant. I've actually been thinking about using something else for my setup. Having humidity issues lately. I've got to constantly mist throughout the day to keep it above 70%. Without misting it holds steady at 70% throughout the day.

Looking great! I'm really fond of the spectabilis x aristolochioides upper.

Oh I might have not been clear, the spec x aristo isnt an upper, but the ventricosa x inermis is.

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

I know the setup well. I built a CP display for a grow shop in town here. I ended up going with the 145L, since they wanted something to extravagant. I've actually been thinking about using something else for my setup. Having humidity issues lately. I've got to constantly mist throughout the day to keep it above 70%. Without misting it holds steady at 70% throughout the day.

Yeah, humidity is the primary reason I got it. Ambient room humidity is about 15% here, so I've always had to grow my neps/heli's in some kind of contained space. This works great because the contained space is so big. But..I run through a gallon a day of RO water keeping it humidified. Plus, I have to do a once a day misting on top of that to keep the sphagnum around my helis alive. I can avoid the once a day misting if I keep the humidity really, really high, but then I'm pushing 2 gallons a day of RO through the humidifier, plus I started getting mold and mildew issues, so I think I've found a good balance.

I feel your pain.. I'm running through 2 gallons of RO a day myself. PLUS I mist twice a day. Pretty sad just to get 80%. But I've got a whole walk-in dilly to deal with.

Newly opened sanguinea with older sibling:
DSC_3752.jpg

Newly opened "Red Leopard":
DSC_3754.jpg

Where'd you score the N. sanguinea x ramispina? Very nice looking, I wonder if it has the rapid growth habit of pure N. sanguineas, they were some of my fastest old growers.

Looking great!

I'm planning to do the same thing with the grow tent but a slightly larger one. Big enough to fit two of the 6' fold up tables. What do you get for temperatures in there? And with how many lights? I'll be keeping it in an unheated basement, so room temperature down there is only 60 on summer days and about 50 at night. Winter is about 10-15 degrees cooler.

If I may ask.. where'd you get the sanguinea 'Purple'? Not really wide spread in the US. I finally got a cutting after 2 years of searching.

I ordered that sanguinea as a "sanguinea red". I think it might be BE clone 3162, not sure. For the first couple years I didn't care for it. It didn't get much color to it until it had matured. Younger, the peristomes never darkened at all, they stayed green. It grew about 'normal' for the first 3 years I had it. In the last year though it has really accelerated.

It's just rack with 3 levels, each level with two t8 fixtures with 2 bulbs each, so 4 t8 bulbs per level. The room I keep it in is on our top floor, with a huge west facing window next to it. So temp control is very tough for me in the summer. I have a dryer tubing venting air from that rooms a/c vent into the tent at night. So, in summer it gets to about 83F in there, about 65F at night. In the fall, winter, and spring, I just open the big window so it gets to about 75F in the day, and I try to keep it above 50F at night.

We don't have a basement here. We are planning on moving hopefully in a year or so, and a must is that the next place has a basement. This would work much better in a cooler basement than an upper floor room!

Last edited:
Still wanna see pics of the entire setup.. ;)

Thanks for the info, I would also love to see a shot of the whole thing.

All of them are pretty beautiful

Back