What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Flower

This will be my first flower from a nepenthes!
My N. x kohala:
P9270016.JPG

The Flower:
P9270015.JPG

Anyone have any ideas on if it's male or female?

Congrats on your first. How long have you had the plant? I have no idea what age neps start to flower.

Neps start to flower when they are 3-5 years old...most likely 4 or 5. Cant tell if its male or female yet, but once it unfurls we will have an idea.

11%2525207%25253A25%25253A28%252520PM.jpg

Now that it is unfurled any guesses? I'm thinking male but i could be wrong. :) It also looks like it is starting to put out another flower is this normal?

I just had a maxima hybrid pop three stalks of flowers. The third was small in comparison. I removed them because it's an unknown and so not responsible to breed it IMO.

Thanks, if only it was the elusive female :)

I've seen weirder flowering habits. There's a N. khasiana at Meadowview that flowered on 2 of the vines, then 3-5 of the basals. It made so little sense. Congrats!

I have a female splendiana finishing up flowering. :D Had I had a known male flowering I would have pollenated. Just wasn't going to do it with the male unknown.

Wanna see a weird flower?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

IMG_0007-1.jpg

Looking at that picture closely, I think I see another scape slightly hidden in there as well. :-O Chalk it up to hybrid vigor!

Wanna see a weird flower?

---------- Post added at 05:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

IMG_0007-1.jpg

What in the world? It's either confused or very hardy.

Back