What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3 Years of N. Ventricosa - Big Pics

I occasionally take pictures around my greenhouse, but rarely do anything with them. I was looking through several years of these pictures, and noticed that I had happened to photograph the same plant on almost the same day for 3 years.

It's a plain-old N. ventricosa "Red" that you can find @ Lowe's or Home Depot. However, this was from the first tray of plants that I bought when I went into business for myself, so it has some sentimental value.

Photos taken 9/27/2009:
Whole plant in 3" pot
N_ventricosa_1.jpg

Pitcher detail
N_ventricosa_1_Pitcher.jpg

Photos taken 9/14/2010:
Whole plant, same 3" pot
P1000424.JPG

Pitcher detail
P1000423.JPG

Photos taken 9/15/2011:
Whole plant in gallon pot
P1000892.JPG

Pitcher detail
P1000890.JPG

P1000891.JPG

Just a good demonstration of what a weed this plant can be. This would be the most boring post ever if I did it w/ one of my N. lowii over the same time frame.

Nice ventricosa jurow:). Looks like the plant has been in really good hands. Thanks for sharing pics!

Only thing you can find here at lowes is ventrata. Lovely vent you have there.

Nice pictures; I love seeing the progress over time.

Thanks for sharing!

This is a good idea to take monthly progression pics! Maybe I can get an outdoor security cam to do this and just setup computer to capture it monthly. That would be awesome. Thanks agsin for sharing!!

Only thing you can find here at lowes is ventrata. Lovely vent you have there.

Glad you like it. Ventricosa "Red" are often what you find in the "Death Cubes."

"Death Cubes"! *laughs*
There were Dionaea Death Cubes at Fred Meyer's plant dept today, and I rescued one, just on principle. There were D. capensis Death Cubes as well, but I felt far less compelled to rescue any of these seeing as what a weed that plant has become in my greenhouse.....I mean, why pay $6.99 for another one??!!

And thats a fine ventricosa you have there. I find it odd that some folks regard it as "pedestrian". On the contrary, I find it one of the few that has such delicate lines and coloring. A well grown specimen is a true delight. (Not to mention that its always nice to have a couple really fast growers like this in the collection, while you are waiting for your lowii to start performing!)

Paul

Wow, I wish mine had vined that well after only a year! Amazing progress!

Update time!

Photos taken 11/3/2012:
Still in same gallon pot. This is the first year it flowered, and turned out to be a male.

2012-11-03_15-33-33_313.jpg

2012-11-03_15-33-55_137.jpg

2012-11-03_15-33-46_668.jpg

If I recall, this was an unusually warm year, which caused this guy to make huge pitchers. These are the biggest they have ever been.

Scene missing:
I'm pretty sure I took pictures in 2013, but I can't find them anywhere. This season it made 3 huge inflorescences.

Photos taken 8/16/2014:
Same gallon pot. New greenhouse. 5 flowers stalks. Completely root-bound and out of control.

IMG_20140815_125617_603.jpg

IMG_20140815_125627_982.jpg

IMG_20140815_125633_396.jpg

I finally decided to prune it back, and took off all the vines. Got about 25 cuttings that should be good-sized plants themselves within a year. Planning to finally get it into a 2 or 3 gallon pot sometime this week.

Do you fertilize this plant?

You've got the same clone I have then. Ridiculously prolific with basals if the vines get long enough, though I have yet to succeed in rooting cuttings (my own fault probably, not enough light on the cuttings).

Very nice photo sequence. Great idea.

I did not realize ventricosas grew that fast

Nice vent, they may be common but they are still nice.

The comparison to clones is also impressive, I have 4 different ventricosa (a few of the same, but 4 clones), 2 grow about this speed, 1 is slightly slower and the last grows about the same but basals like crazy instead of growing the main vine fast.

The slightly slower one does make larger traps but so it is forgiven, the 2 normal vents are female, the basal one is male and the slow one (over a foot long with several small basal, I have had since 2009) is yet to flower.

They also flower at different times of the year for me which I found odd, even the same clones growing side by side flower at different times.

Back