What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is It Doomed?

Wire Man

Sphagnum Guru
So, I received this Nepenthes burkei a few days ago. Sounds like no big deal, right? Well, it had been sitting in the postoffice for 2 WEEKS before they told me it was there. The made sure I got my other packages, but not the one with an uncommon, live plant. Here's the poor thing minutes after pulling it out of the box.

Nepenthes burkei, small by Wire Man, on Flickr

Nepenthes burkei by Wire Man, on Flickr

As you can see the growing point is very brown and dead. The foliage is fine, but the new leaves, not so much. Is there any hope for this one? It's in a West facing windowsill with a plastic baggie over it, next to my N. x ventrata. It's getting some sunlight, but not enough to burn it.

With the proper humidity it should be fine. If the grow point has browned out completely, one of the side shoots should activate and start putting out new leaves. It may take some time before it does though. Keep taking good care of it and it should survive though.

The spot I keep it in has humidity above 60%. It's a small plant, so hopefully it has a node it can activate. How long does it take to develop a new shoot, on average?

Glad the plant was at least alive, but that sucks about the growth tip.

As Brokken said, the plants should re-activate and survive, but it will be a long recovery process. if the plant doesn't make it just let me know and I'll get a replacement to you.

Thanks! I love the generosity of out members.

The N. smilesii I'm holding for Meadowview grew 2 basals within a month of receiving it. Hopefully this one does the same. I'm not giving up easily on this thing.

Like everyone else has said, basically the plant has everything it takes right now to continue growing but it's up to you to provide it with the best conditions possible in the months to come.

You guys aren't going to believe me, but we have new growth! That took less than a week.

Nice! I believe you, it means you're doing something right. :)

It's been moved into a higher light terrarium with N. smilesii and N. maxima "Lake Poso". Let's see how this works. The pitcher it had when it arrived is drying up, so hopefully I get a new leaf soon.

Back