What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes in vitro . . .

Superb! I'm envious that you could carry out tissue culture on nepenthes seeds especially macrophylla......keep us updated! :)

Fantastic David. Will you ever be opening a store and directly selling these rare plants? We really need much needed refresh of the macrophylla and heli clones.

Here are two shots of some of my conventionally grown "controls" that I like to keep on hand, having just emerged from their seed coats days ago; and almost two months later than their counterparts -- both planted within a day of one another -- in aseptic media . . .

Nepenthes sp.
NEPSEED2011.jpg

Congrats! Quick question...do your seeds turn black in vitro or am I just killing them?

Congrats! Quick question...do your seeds turn black in vitro or am I just killing them?

Thanks . . .

Are you asking about the seed coat or a seedling plant?
If it is the particular seed, Nepenthes species vary in size and color a great deal; if seedlings are involved, either the media is far too concentrated; the pH is way off; or the temperatures have been kept above 25˚ C for a sustained period of time . . .

Thanks! I'm talking about the seed coat. Havent had any nepenthes germinate yet but i'm hoping soon.

Thanks! I'm talking about the seed coat. Havent had any nepenthes germinate yet but i'm hoping soon.

Be very patient with them. Depending upon the species, it can take a couple of weeks, to months for germination to occur. The shortest period, in my experience, was fifteen days for Nepenthes lowii; and the longest, eighteen months for some N. hamata stragglers (though the first of that batch germinated within four weeks). Individual seed will often germinate much later than others in the same flask or compost . . .

nice to see everything grow at a steady pace. thanks for sharing!

<--- takes elaborate notes of everything he sees here.
:hail:

Yay! :spazz:

Be very patient with them. Depending upon the species, it can take a couple of weeks, to months for germination to occur. The shortest period, in my experience, was fifteen days for Nepenthes lowii; and the longest, eighteen months for some N. hamata stragglers (though the first of that batch germinated within four weeks). Individual seed will often germinate much later than others in the same flask or compost . . .

Thank you very much for the help. I will definitely wait on them. Thanks again!

really cool ,love the little mac

Here is another round of seed, getting ready for aseptic germination -- just a few short hours from a FEDEX envelope (a standing project for a good friend of mine with little time on her hands -- something having to do with the care of two teenage girls) . . .

Nepenthes jacquelinae 30 November
NJ.jpg

JACQUELINAE.jpg

Good luck BigBella! I hope you get good germination rates from the seed.

Jeez you just have seeds of everything! When you get AW's Doorman's top 1 and pitopangii into culture, can I have one of each? :lol:

Jeez you just have seeds of everything! When you get AW's Doorman's top 1 and pitopangii into culture, can I have one of each? :lol:

For a batch of your cookies and a cup of rocket-fuel coffee, anything you like . . .

Here is a vial with a single seedling from this morning, in some experimental media I have made for Nepenthes -- particularly low in ammonium compounds (both nitrates and chlorides), to which they are very sensitive. A full strength batch of Muroshige and Skoog (MS) media, for example, has something on the order of 1650 mg/L of ammonium nitrate; whereas, the mix currently being used has less than ten percent of that amount.

The first true leaves are just developing as the cotyledons begin to darken . . .

Nepenthes "sp. A" 1 December
NEP-A-1.jpg

NEPA-B.jpg

That culture looks great!

Here is an update on one of the highland Nepenthes species illustrated at the beginning of this post; and I am still getting new germination almost six months out. The most successful seed batches to date were kept under highland conditions from the very start: relatively warm days (as high as 24˚ C) and cold nights (as low as 10˚ C) . . .

Nepenthes sp. "A" 15 February 2012

NEPSSPX.jpg

Back