What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

neem oil

well here goes my first proper post,i seem to have mites but they seem to be slow breeders so maybe not the really bad guys,is it ok to use neem oil on young neps i was warned off using it on young plants by the shop i got it from but being a hydroponics shop he thought i was growing mary jane and i couldn't be bothered to try and convince him otherwise

How young? Because I've used neem on my 2" hamata when it had mites with no Ill effects

I've never had a bad experience with neem oil. Except for one time that I didnt shake up the mix properly and one of my maxima leaves got burned, cause I think the oil was too concentrated. Other than that the stuff it great.

thanks alot for the rapid response the smallest is a far bit bigger than 2" so i recon i should be ok to go ahead

just put the plant in a clear bag. high humidity kills mites

i will try this method thanks,i had read humidity and cool temps were undesirable to them but did not think it would be that simple

Yeah it should be fine to put it on your Nepenthes especially if they are larger than 2 inches across. Just to be safe I would try the bag method and the neem.

Neem oil affects or suppresses cellular growth. That's where it gets its anti-fungal properties. And that's why it is often not recommended for use on seedlings or younger plants.

sounds like a plan,shame i just brought the neem and it was not cheap but i would rather try and solve this without the use of chemicals,i tried a insecticide on my plants early this year and it set my plants back months,it was in an aerosol and i think i held it too close,maybe the cold gas i dunno but they are only just started growing well again,thanks again for your input

Neem oil affects or suppresses cellular growth. That's where it gets its anti-fungal properties. And that's why it is often not recommended for use on seedlings or younger plants.

I have used neem on my cp seedlings without a problem... Then again, I had some very low yields... Kinda hard to tell, especially since the seed in question had the reputation of being low yield anyways... I haven't seen any repressed growth from using neem.

It's a matter of timing. As you know from developmental biology there are "critical periods" when aspects of growth can be most adversely affected.

Back