What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

King X Queen Truncata help

Both parents of this cross are forms of the Pasian HL form of N.truncata...I'm sure you've heard of it. ;)

now im curious as well...do you have a source to cite exo? because i havent seen any information stating that 1) queen/king parents were pasian and 2) they are of highlander origin. all that i DO know about the parents is that they represented a rare possible subspecies of truncata, and the chances of them syncing like this was a very rare event, which enables the immediate persistence of the possible subspecies.

well just Heading off now , so will catch up with you all when i get back and yes will have loads of data , and pic's and vid , , but i must say in all my trips to Mlaysia and Boenreo .i have never seen a sunburnt nep yet , some scragy and climate beeten up ones yes , but never sunburnt, and thats in full sun in 40c direct sun in Bako park too !! so floros hhmmm sorry dont think so , any how will thrash it out with you when I get back OK , friendly only ok do want to get out of hand ok just friendly great tec discussions look forward to it
see ya all
J

See ya snapper, can't wait for the pics and video!

now im curious as well...do you have a source to cite exo? because i havent seen any information stating that 1) queen/king parents were pasian and 2) they are of highlander origin. ...
Like Exo, I'd 'heard that the seedlings were of highland origin (but had not heard the Pasian part). I followed the links from the 1st thread here on Terra to the one on the Nep forum to the one that matters on BE website. This last link has a bunch of good pics & good info - lots of which I did not know. Happy reading. (yes - these plants are of HL origin according to Rob - specifically ~6k ft / 1.7k meter).

Thanks Ron...I've been looking everywhere for those. ;)

Although it's funny how they mention that they grow in full sun....because mine seems to react much like a vampire would. :lol:

Snapperhead, t5HO lights could burn you if you were not used to the light intensity. Just like humans who have been inside all winter cannot step outside into blazing sun should expect some sunburn. If the plant is grown in lower light, it has to be aclimated slowly to the stronger light or else you get burns. The reason you have never seen sunburned plants in the wild is because the plant has grown in the same spot its entire life and is used to the suns intensity already. Take a plant grown under a tree and suddenly remove the shade of the tree and you will have a sunburned plant.

I have grown a house plant pathos in full sun, but I burned the crap out of it when I took down its shade tree, till it got used to the higher light levels without the shade of the tree.

i burnt neps last month under t5 lights,i moved them onto a window ledge for about three months,then back under the lights as the days got shorter,the window got not much light,they burnt bad and quick,i will not do that again in a rush,i obviousley should of gave them a bit at a time,but i think if introduced more sensibly to the higher lighting they would of been fine

OK back from the trip, see there is a few more posts .
As far as your plants burning is because there not hardened, plants grown soft , because of the lighting , and later you will get problems unless you get real light to them , plants are supposed to have natural sun light to grow well. , with out being rude or being nasty here , please post your oldest and largest plant grown under lights and we can see the difference between plants grown in low , artificial and sun light , its open to any one don't care , say min of 4 or 5 year old plants up , may be !!
any how will be good to see some plants up if people are willing , but like them to be home grown you self not some one else's
so lest see the difference between natural sun and artificial lighting !! hard grown against soft grown !!

J
so i will start off with a few medium size ones and up the anti from there

P1120420.jpg

P1120421-1.jpg

P1120422-1.jpg

P1120419.jpg

No rulers for scale....but we work on the honor system around here and the colors speak for themselves.

N.alata 7in. lower pitcher 6 year old plant
Nalata_11-11-11.jpg

N.burbigeae 6in lower pitcher 4 year old plant
Nburbidgeae_10-13-11.jpg

N.spectabilis 8in lower pitcher unknown age
Nspectabilis01_9-1-11.jpg

N.sanguinea x ramnispina 11in upper pitcher 7 year old plant.
NsangXram_6-23-11.jpg

N.ovata 10in intermediate pitcher on a 6 year old plant.
Novata_02.jpg

Last edited:
Exo, that is one heck of a spectabilis. Wowser.

Dont forget your hamata Mark!

Dont forget your hamata Mark!

He wanted big pitchers apparently....since my hamata appears to be a dwarf form, he will prolly just heckle it and blame it on my lights or something. So no hamata.

I think its still a beautiful plant and state that its a sg plant so it might just make smaller pitchers. Do the pic of the whole plant because its huge.

OK so if you comments are in that frame its not worth the bother , Guys do your self a big favor , go save your money and take a few tips to Borneo on a nep tour with some one like Chien Lee and see for your self , it will change your view on Evey thing you have read and doing now !! this way you will see for your self like i did with 5 trips there !

Back