What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Searching for a Dark Nep

I have seen on here some time ago a very dark and small species of nepenthes but I cannot remember the name of it. I have tried doing a search on here and a google search for photos that might look similar and give me a name to work from . I thought that the species name started with a T but I am starting to guess that I might be wrong. It stands out in my mind that it was a low to intermediate species. I am hoping that someone here might be able to help give me a better idea.

Can_NtruncataBlack.jpg

Dat Truncata

N. Gracillima

Somebody probably already beat me to it :p

I think that Nepenthes mikei might have been the winner. now comes the search for the plant.

Could it be tentaculata?

But it also does make darkish pitchers.

bongso or inermis x bongso?

Not that the plant fits your description in any way other than being dark..

Small pitchers?

NBicalcarata1.jpg

not mine

dark plant? (n. gracilima)
or dark pitcher? (n. albomarginata black)
those are the two dark species I grow

Can you describe it a little more? Coloration, pattern, etc.

Nepenthes gracilis var nigrapurpurea

Nepenthes muluensis x lowii

First off I would like to thank everyone who has added to my search you have all given me a great list of plants to look at/for. The plant that I saw was on a thread in reference to a Dwarf or minature species of nep if that helps at all. From what I remember the one photo was of a long slender pitcher on shorter leaves, the leaves seemed to be a dark coloration as well. I dont remember much in the way of color patterning on the pitcher itself. I will keep looking as well and let you all know if I happen to find it again.

@Mass-lets talk that is a great looking nep
@sig-not the right plant but that is very cool whos photos is that if you dont mind my asking.

There's dwarf forms of Maxima.

Miniature species are like, argentii and diatas, I believe.

@james: Credits for photos and plant to Rick Hillier on the OCPS.

Original reposting stolen from petmantis :p

It sounds like N. mikei

The only dark pitchered species I can think of are N. ramispina, mikei, izumiae, bongso, muluensis, adnata, lavicola, lingulata, gracilis "dark", and maxima var. superba. N. ramispina has to be my favorite of the dark pitchered species.

Back