What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes x 'Helen', new from BE

Thanks Rob, for issuing a statement about this cultivar. I am indeed greatly relieved to know that I have "the real deal". I don't know how many plants are left at the place I bought mine, but I have a hunch they won't last long now!
Rob, I'm having a hard time imagining N. 'Helen' Pitchers that look even better than the Chelsea display plant. Wow! That 'Singapore Garden Tech' is a very nice looking plant too. Only 8 months out of TC?? Now that's what you call vigor!

Regards,
Paul

I like the sound of 'Scarlet Pimpernel'! :lol:

Thanks for the heads up on this Rob. I bet you anything that vendor will sell out so quickly if he hasn't already...

But to make it more complicated, Martin Cheek (noted Kew taxonomist) has told me that if we name something like Nepenthes x Singapore GardenTech it is not proper. It should have Latin ending like Nepenthes x Singapore Gardentechii or Nepenthes x Singapore GardenTechiana and then it also should be described in Latin, Ugh!
Why would a Hybrid/Cultivar/etc. be Latinized? When I made a hybrid cross I wanted to name it N. Dominus and told a few folks when I sent out seed (sterile :( ), and the ICPS guy sent me an email and complained that it should never be "so close to Latin" (but then what about N. Dominii...) What's the deal with all this back and forth - just taxonomist bickering? ???

Aw, and I was hoping folks would think that was a BE nursery :drool: That shot was taken in approximately the middle of the greenhouse - more impressive from one end - and they are all carnivorous plants.

One nursery we visited (not carnivorous plants) puts out millions of plants per year with just 12employees, none of whom are in sight. It's just unbelievably big and every now and again a huge mass of plants would spookily rise up by themselves and trundle off on railway tracks to get fertliized or automatically repotted. The only pathways are on these tracks and if a trolly comes your way, when it gets close to you it senses your presence, stops and then backs off beeping quietly to itself and then the computer sends it to it's destination via some other route, avoiding you. It's just eery. If it went wrong, the only way not to get run down would be to fling yourself onto the benches. Then you'd probably get automatically fertilized or repotted.

Woops guess I let the cat out of the bag!

My Rob how nice your greenhouse is looking these days! Better?

The idea of getting automatically fertilized or repotted doesn't sound all that bad right now.

If it went wrong, the only way not to get run down would be to fling yourself onto the benches. Then you'd probably get automatically fertilized or repotted.

I laughed out loud when I read that. :-))

The idea of getting automatically fertilized or repotted doesn't sound all that bad right now.

The fertilizer they use might suit you Tony. It's 10:11:18 + 2 MgO + 4 Rogaine :grin:

BURN!!!
And that N. 'scarlet pimpernel' be pimpin'

Back