What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you know if it's female or male?

Hardy, that campy looks amazing! I'll have to post my maxima x campanulata once it makes a decent pitcher.

I've just got myself a female campy, a rooted basal about 5 cm across. It's an all-green clone from BE.
IMG_3468_zpsf2c7020d.jpg

My old campy is male :)
IMG_2561_zps4ade584a.jpg

The older one is really nice. I love those wacky pitcher, I have to get my self a campy.

Somebody asked in the POTM thread how I grow my campy but I saw the post too late to reply in the said thread... So here's the growing conditions of my plant. It's grown in a fish tank partly covered with saran wrap. So it is a humid condition, with intermediate to warm temperature range (16 to 25 degrees in winter and 28-32 degrees in summer).

IMG_3085_zpsfdc40601.jpg

IMG_3082_zps9a8510f1.jpg

The small tank gets 26W of lighting provided by compact fluorescent lamps (13W Phillips 865, i.e. 6500K). The lamps are turned on for 16 h each day.

IMG_3090_zpsd9b341f2.jpg

The potting medium is mostly dried sphagnum with live sphagnum topdressing, and I also inserted some live sphagnum around the inner sides of the transparent pot. With time the live sphagnum covers the sides of the pot nicely. I wait until the sphagnum is almost dry before watering and never let it become too wet.

IMG_0533_zpsa7da01e5.jpg

I do not fertilize but feed the plant regularly with fish pellets. Under these conditions my campy has grown really well and very prolific too. I've recently cut all but the largest basal and there are now new basals ready to fill the place.

IMG_3464_zps5facd598.jpg

Hungry drooling mouth... all those droplets are sticky nectar.

IMG_2840_zpsc4e90f12.jpg

Nice! I love that last shot with the water droplets

My Campanulata has been struggling so now I know what I've been doing wrong

lol. that drooling mouth pic is awesome Hardy.

Mat, is that the one I had sent to you? Lookin' good!

Yeah, thanks again for helping me land that little beauty. It settled right in.

anything for you homeslice. :bigthumpup:

My only campy hybrid that is presentable right now, funny enough it's been growing in the paper towel I received it in for the past 5 months. Today the paper towel broke so I decided it was time to pot up finally :-O

So without further ado my N. "Carmen"

N. "Carmen" by mcmcnair, on Flickr

Wow mason, that plants is excellent. Good growing my friend.

did the pitcehr inflate at that funny angle or was it resting on something prior? love the colors

Wow, everyones plants look so great! This has to be my favorite Nepenthes species, can't wait until I have conditions that are suitable for one :) ... About how tall do/can they get? they seem rather compact/rosett growing, is this true?

One could consider them a dwarf species IMHO
@Myles it developed at that angle oddly enough.

My third nep: N. lowii X campanulata

I got a rooted cutting in May.
IMG_4048_zpsfe9057e3.jpg

In brief 3 months, it has slowly edged its way to become one of my favorites :)
IMG_4383_zps43320b8b.jpg

IMG_4388_zps37350772.jpg

I find that the pitchers are sturdier and longer lasting than N. campanulata, even the young pitchers are thicker-walled than the mature pitchers of my campanulata. Surprisingly, it appears to be more heat tolerant than my campys. In these respects, this hybrid is a definite improvement from its campanulata parent. I'm looking forward to see it mature.

Here's a group shot with my two campys. (My young all-green campanulata is painfully slow to grow...)
IMG_4371_zps458805b5.jpg

Back