What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow, I can't believe how early those are flowering! If the plant is female will it succesfully set seed at that size?

N. campanulata plants flowering at miniature size! :headwall:

This is bad...

This is worse...

That is ridiculously small for such an event to occur....

Drool worthy species with its own drool...

A little one growing happily in red LSM and producing pitchers.

Excellent!! Incredible, how small those plants were flowering! I would love if I could get Nepenthes to flower at that size.

These photos are a few months old now, but I supposed I forgot to post them here earlier. Both the female in this photo and another female have since been pollinated and are currently coming close to dropping seed.

N. campanulata by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

N. campanulata by Aspidistra Flier, on Flickr

Excellent! Were they pollinated with campanulata pollen?

Yes, both batches will be N. campanulata Wistuba clone x N. campanulata Leilani clone.

Simply incredible.... Such great news!

Another breeding pair of N. campanulata. :) These are small plants about 3 inches across. I pollinated the female plant and should be able to find out pretty soon whether it'll successfully set seed. :water:

1/5/2015 (female plant on the right)
campan_zpse3d1c88b.jpg

2/7/2015
campanfemale_zpsba8f9dc5.jpg

2/15/2015
campan3_zps4a2abba2.jpg

It's great to see people breeding this species in cultivation. One of the few plants that really makes me wish I had a LL set up.

Wow! Great that you managed to get those two to flower at the same time.

Such diminutive plants for flowers. That's fantastic!

And Dog said, "Let there be seed," and there was seed.

Very nice! Congratulations!

Mato,

I see only a few of my seeds resembling yours...but most not. :(

Mato,

I see only a few of my seeds resembling yours...but most not. :(

Since the inflorescence was all but black, I dumped both the developed and undeveloped pods into the same bowl; I was warned the species produces relatively small seeds, but it's pretty clear which ones will probably be unviable (the conspicuously tiny pieces that look like chaff). Still have 2 more inflorescences left to get it right(er).

Last edited:
Looks like there's at least a few successful there. Many more clones to come, to keep this species going!

Fantastic job Mato. Saw this on your feed. Very very well done Sir. I wish you all the best and hopefully you can get some viable seedlings from that. Please contact the "nepenthes ark" and see if you can distribute more of this rare species in cultivation to raise the diversity that is around. I understand it is just a pollination of two common clones, but the process of some recombination should introduce some amount of variability in the "available gene pool".

Back