What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We all have parts of our favorite Nepenthes that we really like. Spots of this one, pitcher shape of this one so on and so on. I thought that it might be interesting to see what everyone dream nepenthese would be. Below is some catorgies that I can think might be able to help describe our dream plants, maybe some of you might have some other ideas. Feel free to add to the list. Use examples from plants that way everyone can get a good idea of what you are talking about.

1 Pitcher Shape
2 Coloration
3 Growing Conditions
4 Overall Plant Size
5 Overall Pitcher Size
6 Hairs, Teeth, other oddities

I will go first:

1 Short and tubby ex Bicalcarata
2 Dark pitcher (ex N. mikei) with lots of contrasting spots, ex aristolochioides
3 Intermediate
4 Small leaf span 8" pitchers
5 Lg Chicken egg to hard ball size
6 upper Lid hairs of Hamata, lower lid hairs of lowii, fangs of Bicalarata
teeth of Hamata, with wings like rafflesiana

I know sounds a little lame but the more hairs and teeth the better. Now whos next

This is similar to the dream hybrid threads.. I am content with hamata :p

luckily my ideal nep actually exists....it's called N. pittopangii---as far as i know the only infundibular shaped nepenthes that is molted, very similar to glabrata--but jamban shaped!

Imagine, if you will....a plant like N.rajah....with pitchers shaped like rajah...but with the color and peristome of N.northiana.....and can tolerate household temps and humidity. THAT, is my perfect nep.

with teeth!

N. hamata 'Red Hairy' with eddie teeth/peristome that can survive on a window sill

1 Giant pitcher, long and plump
2 Peach with dark yellow and pink spots and purple pitcher rim
3 Hot summers, cold winters, mild humidity, loves to be soaking wet
4 Extremely bushy, 2ft tall/wide
5 Typically 12", but can be grown bigger with higher humidity
6 White, spiky hair and 2" "teeth" on the pitcher lid; pitcher lid wider than pitcher

1 Big long fat upper pitchers with squat lowers
2 Yellow on bottom, Orange in middle, red @ pitcher mouth, blue on tip of lid
3 Lowlander...because I can grow them!
4 Bushy but leaning more towards viner traits
5 36" at maturity (mature in 2 years)
6 THICK silk white hair where the stem connects to pitcher, 2" black teeth on lid, has 3" long fang decending into pitcher from lid base

Back