What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. leonardoi

Has anyone else seen the pics of this new Nepenthes species that Stewart McPherson sent out in promotion of his latest book, 'New Nepenthes Voume One'?

Judging from the two pics included in the email i received, N. leonardoi might be the new must-have Nepenthes that will have collectors eagerly awaiting its mass release from one of the major vendors, with its very nice looking dark bugle shaped pitchers.

dvg

Nepenthes_leonardoi.jpg

It is very pretty....just look at the color and peristome...wow.

---------- Post added at 04:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:46 AM ----------

The Discovery of Nepenthes Leonardoi

wow :0o: Where is this plant located? It sorta reminds me of macrophylla and villosa...

There was an article on this in the CPN, a very nice species indeed!

Theres a video link in the bottom of my first post with the video of it being discovered:).

it was discovered in august...cant wait to get one!

Please tell me this is a highlander!

WOW! :0o:

17-1.gif

@dvg: yes....personally, i've gotten my eyes on N. nigra.
it seems we have a trickle of "fusion" species lately (not genetically though) such as pittopagni. and now nigra.
for those who dont know:
N. pittopangi has glabrata-like lowers, and jamban-like uppers.
N. nigra has hamata-like lowers (without teeth), and mikei-like uppers (much more darker than mikei-uppers though, appearing to be black)

I am definitely pretty excited about N. leonardoi being in cultivation (assuming it actually does enter cultivation).

Here is the other photo that Stewart McPherson released of N. leonardoi.

Nepenthes_leonardoi_2-2.jpg

When this species is eventually released for sale at the retail level, it looks like it will be a keeper. :cool:

dvg

Kinda looks like... macfarlanei is white and this is the black version of macfarlanei ???

Kinda looks like... macfarlanei is white and this is the black version of macfarlanei ???

It is closely related to Nepenthes mira, deaniana, mantalingajanensis and gantungensis.

Here is another link for more information on this species.

N. leonardoi link

dvg

Hmmmm....now this one I rather like.....

Oh, I've had my eye on this one for a while, it is very nice indeed! I liked it since I first saw it a few months ago! Definitely looks like N. mira, which I also like.

Immana be a heretic and say that's one I can definitely live without.

It's cool that they are discovering new species though.

It's very cool looking but I'm not a huge fan of black nepenthes. And any way, why wait for this plant when deaniana and mantalingajanesis are available now and (at least in my opinion) more beautiful than this plant.

Check out this documentary video about Stewart McPherson climbing the unnamed mountain where N. leonardoi was found!

http://vimeo.com/24045574

Also, he collected some seeds and distributed to some growers in the UK. They have germinated the seeds already. Still, it's a loooooong way before this will become commercially available. N. attenboroughii isn't available in the market yet, only between some growers.

Back