What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii Bario HL Candy Striped seedlings

Very beautiful Doug! N. veitchii is such a wonderful species, I have two N. veitchii (k) a pale one from BE. They both do really well on my windowsill. Anyway, these are looking really promising at such a young age.

Yay update! It looks awesome! how is the vareigated one doing?

Thanks guys,

Daniel, i have to agree that N. veitchii is a great species to keep in any collection and my N. veitchii (k) strain is getting better with each new pitcher made.

Mikefallen13, the variegated plant is still hanging in there, but it is very slow compared to the other seedlings.

dvg

That looks amazing!

Nice! My lil' candy striped should be arriving soon :)

Daaang that thing grew fast!

Very nice plants!!! Love the striping.

Thanks guys, at least half of these seedlings are showing some degree of striping on their peristomes now.

Hopefully in time, the others will also follow suit.

dvg

Since this is the second anniversary of the sowing of the seeds from which these seedlings sprung forth, i thought i'd post a bit of an update.

Yes, that's right...exactly two years ago today on June 22, 2010 the seeds for these seedlings were sown.

Here is an indoors shot of the newest pitcher to open on my most robust seedling, finally showing some widening of peristome.

IMG_2759-N-veitchii-seedling-June-22-2012.jpg

And a close-up of the peristome.

IMG_2742-N-veitchii-seedling-peristome-June-22-2012.jpg

This robust seedling is spreading itself into the neighboring 5" pots.

IMG_2754-N-veitchii-seedlings-June-22-2012.jpg

Really looking forward for its next pitcher to form, judging by the size of its newest leaf. (Attached to the plant seen in bottom row, second pot from the left)

IMG_2749-N-veitchii-seedlings-June-22-2012.jpg

dvg

Great job, dvg! It's amazing to see how much quicker some are growing compared to others.

Great job, dvg! It's amazing to see how much quicker some are growing compared to others.

Thanks Mato, the variation in growth rate might help explain why some tc'ed clones are more vigorous than others.

dvg

Those seedlings are amazing! I agree, that variation is extremely interesting and it's really cool that you have a variegated one in the mix. Nice job!

Wonderful!! So far Ive heard that my candy striped has been selected for the best coloring but it still needs time before getting shipped :(.

Thanks for the comments fellas, here is an update on the newest pitcher to open, with D. hydei fruit fly for size reference. ;)

IMG_9430-N-veitchii-seedling-July-23-2012.jpg

dvg

Wow how exciting!! It turns out I'll be getting one of Twargor's candy striped soon, but surely a lot smaller then yours :0o: . Have any of the other plants put out any interesting pitchers lately?

Thanks Lance.

Twargor, another fellow and i all received the same batch of seeds, so your plant should be quite nice indeed, once you receive it.

I do have stiped pitchers showing on other plants, but none of them are as advanced in either peristome flaring or striping as my robust clone is currently showing.

dvg

That is a beauty for sure. My biggest seedling from seed collected from a green peristomed plant, is starting to show stripes. It seems that this trait is wide spread in the N. veitchii population in Bario.

Regards,

Christer

That is a beauty for sure. My biggest seedling from seed collected from a green peristomed plant, is starting to show stripes. It seems that this trait is wide spread in the N. veitchii population in Bario.

Regards,

Christer

Thanks Christer,

I'd love to see some pics of your striped seedlings and your green peristomed seedlings, if you get a chance to post some of those babies.

regards,

Doug
dvg

Hey dvg, absolutely wonderful seedlings. I'm just about to sow some Veitchii seeds so I'm wondering if there's a medium or anything you'd recommend, wouldn't want to make a mistake.

Hey dvg, absolutely wonderful seedlings. I'm just about to sow some Veitchii seeds so I'm wondering if there's a medium or anything you'd recommend, wouldn't want to make a mistake.

Thanks Maxima,

Growers have success with any number of seedling mixtures.

I prefer a 50:50 mix of peat and coarse sand.

The peat and sand both get rinsed a couple of times, and i find that the rinsing removes the dust from the sand and that the peat has less green slime growing over it in time.

dvg

Back