What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii Bario HL Candy Striped seedlings

Actually, I only have one seedling in TC (he usually sells TC neps by the tens but this one is so rare that he sells by one plant) ...the guy that I'm getting it from said the seedling will be hardened off and ready in july... I might be able to convince him to show me some pics of the batch so I can choose a nice clone ;).

What exactly does multiplying hormone do?

Multiplying hormones cause plants in TC to start making multiple offshoots or plantlets from the mother plant, and this is the true beauty and power of Tissue Culture...

...the ability to make hundreds or thousands of clones, quite quickly, from one plantlet.

dvg

wow...I need some of that! Either way..it would be cool to test it out on some plants that I plan to graft...where do you get it?

It is meant to be used in sterile culture for best results.

If you're looking for some, you should be able to find it at Phytotechnology.

Here is a link

Are you interested in getting started in doing your own tissue culture?

dvg

Well...possibly. (I hope I'm not derailing the thread)

With all the solutes needed to use ...etc it seems a little difficult even though I'd be presented with some rare CP's to germinate.

If you are interested in doing some plant tc or even just curious about doing it at home for a relatively inexpensive cost, check out this...

...link

dvg

How old are your seedlings? They are looking great.

DVG they are definitely nowhere as big as your seedlings, they are average 1- 1 1/2 inches in diameter, partly because I need to repot I'm sure, and partly because they are in slightly less than ideal conditions for veitchii right now... But I'm expecting big things come this greenhouse season..

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

I actually took a couple pics while messing around with the camera attachment for my iPhone 4S called the Ōlloclip and took these earlier today, forgot to post em here.

This is the most colorful seedling of the batch, not quite the biggest, but the whole plant is red... Shows promise I think.
9901701f.jpg

f925aa1a.jpg

Very nice, both of ya..

How old are your seedlings? They are looking great.

Thanks JB.

The seeds were sown on June 22, 2010 and the resulting seedlings were transplanted four apiece into those 6" pots back in May 2011.

They've just recently been been repotted into their own individual pots, with a signifigant growth spurt been shown with each repot into fresh media.

SK, that's a nicely colored up seedling, showing lots of hair on it's leaf fringes.

Hopefully it'll start to show some striping on it's peristome for you, once it starts making slightly larger pitchers there.

Thanks for sharing that one with us. :cool:

dvg

Yes, nice colors on the plants. As I mentioned in SK's thread I repotted some seedlings in another mix (peat moss/perlite) because they had pretty much stalled. Some "green peristome" took off, so I moved the rest to the same mix. In the end some grew quite well, but others, mainly "striped peristomes" seedlings did not do much for months. Recently I moved them back to sphagnum, and this time they seem to start to increase in size.

However the stripe's are still tiny, but here a photo of the biggest of the greens in a 12 cm pot. As can be seen not much colors, but it could need some more light.

veitchiiBariob.JPG

Regards,

Christer

An afternoon shot in the snow...

IMG_2333-N-veitchii-seedling.jpg

...with a new pitcher inflating and another new leaf stretching out.

dvg

Wwow Doug! Those have really grow up fast, I hope they'll be very beautiful.

Thanks Daniel, i'm hoping the same thing.

Here is a closer look at the peristome of the newest pitcher to open.

IMG_2428-N-veitchii-seedling.jpg

dvg

Oh wow... and you actually brought it outside in the snow and it didn't suffer at all?! :0o:

Both the shot today and the previous one were done outside in the snow...

...but the outside exposures were kept as brief as possible.

I find that these Nepenthes tend to be a fair bit tougher than a lot of folks give them credit for.

dvg

I really am not a fan of vetchii, but it sure is a joy watching these guys grow up. :-D

Wow, you got stripes so early on, that's amazing. These are going to be beauties.

Thanks guys.

Dex, the variation among these seedlings is interesting too.

At the opposite end of the spectrum are the two smallest seedlings - mutants maybe.

One seedling, not even the size of a dime, is variegated, which might explain its slowness.

IMG_2475-N-veitchii-seedling.jpg

The other seedling, i call it the 'tricolor'...has red, green and some cream coloring, although most, but not all of the cream coloring has a tendency to turn red in bright light. This coloring might even be the result of a virus, but i'll wait to see how this one continues to grow out.

IMG_2465-N-veitchii-seedling.jpg

dvg

interesting... I wonder what they will look like as adults.

Here is a pic of the newest seedling pitcher to open.

IMG_2476-N-veitchii-stripedseedling.jpg

There is definitely more striping appearing on each successive pitcher.

dvg

Back