What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii Bario HL Candy Striped seedlings

Alrighty thanks much for the tips! I hope I can grow mine to be as great as yours.

Very nice indeed, dvg! The "bario" forms of veitchii, are one of the most beautiful Nepenthes, IMHO.

Paul

Hi Doug,

Here are some of them:

Biggest "green peristome" in a 13 cm (5.1 inch) pot. As can be seen there is big improvement in peristome width with the newly opened pitcher.

veitchiibario1.JPG

My "striped peristome" seedling pot, the biggest is around 7 cm (not quite 3 inches).

veitchiibario2.JPG

My runts of the litter "green peristome", which responded very well to being repotted this spring, biggest seedling here 4 cm (1.5 inches). I have few specimens in other pots going from 5 cm to 8 cm.

veitchiibario3.JPG

Regards,

Christer

All of your seedlings are very healthy looking Christer.

I too have found that these seedling take a huge jump in growth soon after a fresh repotting.

Best of luck with growing yours out!

dvg

Newest pitcher to open on the robust clone...

IMG_1597-N-veitchii-Bario-Nov-13-2012.jpg

dvg

:boogie: amazing!!!! hopefully mine will show stripes as it matures

now that is really starting to look something like,nice one doug

Thanks guys,

Here is a pic of the peristome from today.

IMG_1667-N-veitchii-Bario-Nov-14-2012.jpg

dvg

Beautiful effort all around!

It was fun watching their progress over the last year . . .

:bigthumpup::bigthumpup:agreed just read the whole post and that is great growth

Thanks guys,

Newest pitcher to open - now almost 2 and half years out from seed.

IMG_2275-N-veitchii-Bario-Dec-18-2012.jpg

IMG_2281--N-veitchii-Bario-Dec-18-2012.jpg

dvg

nice! 1 question.....since these are HxL can they be grown in lowland conditions at all?

nice! 1 question.....since these are HxL can they be grown in lowland conditions at all?

These are grown in intermediate conditions.

dvg

do you think a plant like this one would tolerate lowland conditions and acclimate to them?

do you think a plant like this one would tolerate lowland conditions and acclimate to them?

I suppose it is possible.

Some growers report that their N. veitchii (k) plants from EP do better for them in LL conditions.

Of course the real test would be to try them in the warmer LL conditions - something that these have not been subjected to.

dvg

We've been growing our veitchii (k) at Meadowview in pure lowland conditions. It's flowered for us twice.

Looking good DVG!

Just as a side note because I see quite frequently in many threads on many forums where people ask can I grow this as a (fill in the blank) lowland, highland, intermediate, ultralowland etc etc. Without actual numbers these very broad terms are fairly meaningless. If you want the best information on which to base whether or not you can grow a plant then give detailed information on the conditions you have. The same applies to anyone responding with information.

Spectacular! those plants look sooo nice! What is the variegated one doing?

thx dvg.

thx wireman....i was unaware the (k) plants did well as lowlanders. very encouraging as I really like the (k) versions too!

thx tony. 75-80 f days, 70-75 f nights, avg humidity is about 80% +/- 5% moreso at night and less during the day but never below 75% or above 85% to my knowledge, 10,000 lumen fixture with 6400k/2700k combo, 13h on 11h off and some heavily diffused evening light is allowed to enter, ventilation is good. I emailed the site a while back but never received a response inquiring about your Lowland pink x Highland striped veitchii; would it do well in the conditions I have listed?

N. veitchii lowland pink x highland striped? That was a cross Exotica made about 8 or 9 years ago... I haven't seen it remade since.
Your day temperatures are not all that high, so a N. veitchii would be fine in there. I have had a so called 'highland' form growing in a warm chamber that is in the mid 80's during the day and around 72 at night. It seems happy enough. A good plant to try would be the Malesiana N. veitchii pink clone. It seems to prefer warmer temperatures than the big chunky Bareo 'highland' forms.

Back