What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii Bario HL Candy Striped seedlings

Thought i'd share a couple pics of my seed grown N. veitchii Bario Highland Candy-Striped seedling babies, even though the pots are looking a bit unruly at the moment with all of the moss, grass, heather and what-not.

This N. veitchii form, when mature, has squat, red ball-shaped pitchers, according to the fellow that sent me the seeds.

The seeds were sown on June 22, 2010 in a seedling flat and then when that became overrun with moss, the seedlings were transplanted into 6" pots back on May 11, 2011.

Four seedlings apiece were placed into each 6" pot, with one pot getting the largest of the seedlings at the time and the other pot receiving the smaller ones.

Here is the pot with the smaller seedlings.

IMG_1549-NveitchiiHL-Bario-Candy-Striped.jpg

And this is the pot that had the largest ones transplanted into it.

IMG_1548-NveitchiiHL-Bario-Candy-Striped.jpg

The seedlings, for the most part, have grown quite well since last May and once again are in need of a repotting, but this time it will be into their own separate pots...

...and then hopefully they can all turn over a new leaf and do things up right in the new year... ;)

dvg

they look good. Starting to see larger red pitchers on my biggest SG veitchii HL. Can't wait for them to get as big as my K.

These look amazing, and will only get better as they grow!
Really gives me hope for all the itty bitty seedlings I've got going right now :)
Thanks for sharing!

they look good. Starting to see larger red pitchers on my biggest SG veitchii HL. Can't wait for them to get as big as my K.

These look amazing, and will only get better as they grow!
Really gives me hope for all the itty bitty seedlings I've got going right now :)
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks guys, growing Neps from seed is so rewarding, especially with the surprises that can pop up among seedlings... :cool:

The same seedlings grouped together after being repotted into 5" pots and fitted into a standard sized seedling flat.

IMG_1635-N-veitchii-HL-BarioCandy-Striped-seedlings.jpg

This should give them a little extra room to relax and stretch out those scramblin' viney parts. ;)

dvg

Those are some good looking seedlings.

N. veitchii Bario striped seedling

Those are some good looking seedlings.

Thanks Dionae! :-))

This is the largest of this seedling batch, showing color in its leaves and boasting a newly opened pitcher.

IMG_1873-veitchii-Bario-striped.jpg

The newest pitcher is showing a couple of stripes, which could be a promising sign for the pitchers to follow on this plant...

IMG_1848-veitchii-striped-Bario.jpg

dvg

Last edited:
Nice! Makes me want to give it a try.

Nice! Makes me want to give it a try.

You seriously should give it a go there Rocketcaver...

...successfully growing Nepenthes from seed through to flowering adults is ultra-rewarding and firmly establishes a strong bond between you and your plants too! :cool:

dvg

Very nice! I really need to get a veitchii!

Thanks Mikefallen13 and YES you SHOULD! ;)

dvg

Very nice -- and an all-too clear illustration of the real variability of seed-grown plants . . .

Very nice -- and an all-too clear illustration of the real variability of seed-grown plants . . .

Thanks BigBella, on closer inspection i found one plant to have wavy leaves, one appeared to have some variegation in leaf color, one is very robust compared to the others and one is behind all the others, but that one may turn out to be variegated as well.

I will be watching their progress closely as they all continue to grow out in size. :cool:

dvg

Last edited:
Wow amazing pics!! Where did you get these amazing nepenthes seeds?? I would die to get a veichi "candy stripped" :laaa: .

Thanks Lance! :)

Believe it or not, i won these seeds on a guessing game on CPUK back in 2010.

CPUK guessing game link

Delwin sent out the seeds, they were sown and grown out to small seedlings and now i'm curious as to how these will turn out.

dvg

This robust seedling, now spanning the confines of its 5" pot, is showing some decent coloration on its leaves, and the newest pitcher to open on this plant showed more striping than the previous ones, which is promising.

IMG_2273-N-veitchii-seedling.jpg

It hasn't shown any flaring of the peristome yet, but hopefully that flaring will start to manifest in the next few pitchers produced.

dvg

Wow that ones growing quickly! Keep us updated on it's progress

Nice pic! I can't wait till my veitchi striped comes out of TC in july...good to see what to expect! :D

Nice DVG, when i get time i need to take some pics of my seedlings, which i desperately need to repot as well...
IIRC this is from the same batch of the veitchii Bario HL striped seeds i received back in '10 as well

EDIT: Never mind, i just saw the post that you won these ones... mine were a gift from someone and he sent out a few batches to other people...

Thanks guys! :)

Nice pic! I can't wait till my veitchi striped comes out of TC in july...good to see what to expect! :D

Lance that's great to hear that you have some of these seedlings in TC.

Are you planning on growing them out as unique individual plants or might you apply some multiplying hormones to your seedlings and grow out a whole multitude of clones?

Having that many clones of this variety could end up making you a very popular guy on these boards! ;)

Best of luck with your seedlings!

Nice DVG, when i get time i need to take some pics of my seedlings, which i desperately need to repot as well...
IIRC this is from the same batch of the veitchii Bario HL striped seeds i received back in '10 as well

EDIT: Never mind, i just saw the post that you won these ones... mine were a gift from someone and he sent out a few batches to other people...

Thanks SK!

I believe that these seeds may have all came from the same fellow originally (see link below)...at least that is what Delwin, the fellow that sent my seeds to me, said in one of your N. veitchii HL Candy-Striped seedling threads.

And i'd love to see how yours are coming along for you too...yours were quite a bit more advanced in size than mine were when you last posted an update on your seedlings.

SK's exciting news link

dvg

Last edited:
Actually, I only have one seedling in TC (he usually sells TC neps by the tens but this one is so rare that he sells by one plant) ...the guy that I'm getting it from said the seedling will be hardened off and ready in july... I might be able to convince him to show me some pics of the batch so I can choose a nice clone ;).

What exactly does multiplying hormone do?

Back