What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ill bring it to icps if nothing else

::keeps Heli back with a chair and bullwhip::

ah... that makes sense.

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 PM ----------

ummm.... :0o:

:( i dont even know what to say. except baby them as much as you can. wishing you the very best, and that most if not all your plants will recover.

The N. macrophylla should recover, too. It is an ultra-highlander after all. So, unless it was exposed to temps well bellow freezing it should be fine.

Ive had another kind member PM me with some offers of help.... V is truly one of the really good ppl in this hobby

Do we have any knowledgeable members who can assist with importation?

Thanks guys for all the comments. I truly appreciate all the kindness. Many people have approached me about sending extra plants. Realistically it is not easy to import plants. So thats fine.

Thanks B...I really appreciate it, but as i said before...I wanted u to get that truncata to get you into growing neps. You have to keep it. I guess I'll just have to wait until BE once again offers more plants.

And yes, I will try to take care of them as I did.... I will try to see how much foliage I can cut back. Its hard because in some cases, the whole plant is brown and mush. (like the jambans and robcantleyii). I don't know if I should cut them off all the way till the media? or cut off only all the leaves.

I really hope some of them pull through for you. Such a nice collection.

Just FYI, Hawaiian Botanicals still has some Royal truncatas in stock.

Good luck!

Man vraev this is terrible! I do not have many neps, but do have a small ramispina I can easily part with in the spring. Ill send you a PM on OCPS.

I really wish I could help, but I don't have that many rare neps. Maybe down the road my new N burb X eddy will produce an off shoot. So far the UHL chamber has it pumping out leaves.

Also, take a look at my growlist on OCPS. If you lost any dews, I can probably fix you up.

Man, my heart goes out to you! Hope many of them pleasantly surprise you and come back.

I just got home to find ice in the back of my setup :0o: I dont know how that even happened but it looks like luckily all the plants are fine. I honestly freaked out cause I just read this thread then I saw the ice.

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

oh and if you are going to icps I will try to remember to bring you something nice.

I just managed to take a closer look and cut off the dead foliage. Some plants look toast.. I can clearly say this because when I cut through the stem and sqeezed it...water came out... it was all brown. No living tissue... few plants like that communal basket of eppipiata, lowii and jacquelineae, some plants had growth tips that browned. I cut back all the browned portions. Plants like robcantleyii are non-recoverable...everything is mush. I left the whole thing as is. I cut back everything else...jacquelineae, tenuis, jambans..... everything. Burb x ed and macro looked like they had a good growth point...but NO...when I pryed open the folded leaf...there was water and the growth tip was floppy and brown.

Well... I guess all I can do is resist from chucking them away. I'll leave them as be. I watered them with some trichoderma and thats it. I can't do anything else.

@drew

thanks buddy. Don't worry about it. I really appreciate it...but thats too kind. I don't need to rob any of you guys of your own plants. I guess disasters happen. We just have to move on. ALso, I myself have a ramispina. It didn't have any problems along with the singlana in its pot. they did well. they were far away from the pipe's air inlet. Some other plants like lowii seedlings have some damage on their leaves, but the growth points and stems look ok. same with izumiae seedlings. A couple of burbidgeae seedlings look terrible as well but the main burbidgeae from BE looks ok.

I guess within a month or so, I'll start to see the true result of this disaster.

---------- Post added at 06:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 AM ----------

But..just to note...I haven't mentioned everyone in my posts, but thank you very much to everyone who has taken the time to offer some advice and hope. The community here at TF is indeed special and I am glad to have all your support.

Vraev,
Sent you a PM, but it seems you did everything possible already.
I am sorry.
If indeed anything is questionable as far as life or death is concerned, give them time & see what they do indeed.
If parts remain that are undamaged, they can grow... so indeed give them the chance.

Well again, sorry about this.
Hope better things are to come in the future.

Paul

Aw man, that really sucks!

I've received frozen plants by mail before and it's not fun (it's why I don't order/trade/ship anything from Oct/Nov thru April/May in my area) but to have your long owned plants freeze really gets ya where it hurts. Being youre in Canada I can't offer any cuttings later but hopefully some of your stuff will survive.

Thanks guys. Thanks especially Paul...I went through your PM and I will send you a detailed reply soon.

Yup Swords. Honestly..I can deal with loosing my BE plants...just because I got them as plants...its money, I could get them again....what hurts is those seedlings. Heck..even the robcantleyii seedlings... I was so happy to grow them "competently". And as you can see, they are beautiful. Perfect little jambans. I am just disappointed that one night of not bothering to go and check them has done this to them.

As someone mentioned elsewhere, clearly shows I need to get a thermostat.

Vraev, Ive used herpstats, Johnson A419's and now a Hygrotherm. All work well and can be set to heat or cool. I am currently only using the hygrotherm because it can control my fans and humidifier (also the cheapest). In the summer I will also be using an A419 to control a AC unit as they are rated for much a higher wattage. If you decide to buy one there is a good online supplier in ON that has the best prices on these that I could find. If you want the link send me a PM.

Man, that sucks. I'd send my N. singlana if I knew how to do it legally.

Back