What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey V, you got Paypal? I may not be able to send you plants across the border but I wouldn't mind helping you build resources to re-acquire plants via distributors.

Man, that sucks. I'd send my N. singlana if I knew how to do it legally.

Thats alright buddy. Thanks very much. Its ok, my own singlana was far away from the cooling vent and it is unaffected. It still looks strong along with a ramispina in the same pot. Although, right beside it, I just noticed that a talangensis at the corner has also gone black. Well...whatever...just pile em on.

Vraev, Ive used herpstats, Johnson A419's and now a Hygrotherm. All work well and can be set to heat or cool. I am currently only using the hygrotherm because it can control my fans and humidifier (also the cheapest). In the summer I will also be using an A419 to control a AC unit as they are rated for much a higher wattage. If you decide to buy one there is a good online supplier in ON that has the best prices on these that I could find. If you want the link send me a PM.

FOr sure Drew. I checked it out once and found it was 60$. I guess now I know the price of being cheap for 60$. I will now get it and see if I can hook up a heater as a backup. I will contact you for details.

Hey V, you got Paypal? I may not be able to send you plants across the border but I wouldn't mind helping you build resources to re-acquire plants via distributors.

Thank you really very very much, but no buddy. I can't accept money. I really appreciate the kindness all of you guys are showing. I was telling Zu, Butch, Dionaeae, drew and everyone else who has approached me.... This kind of stuff happens. If I am indeed passionate about this hobby, I need to dust myself off and move on. No point giving up. I will eventually in years try to reclaim some of these species. it will take time for me, but I know I will. Nepenthes have become part of my life. But thanks again all of you... I will never forget all the friends here at TF who were willing to help me. I never expected this at all.

How cold did they get? Below 32?

What is the coldest they have gotten with no adverse affects?

Yup! For sure. I have had temps go down to 40F without this effect. Well.. typically in winter I see 45F at night. Some species show some stress, but they don't fare too badly. They keep growing. (Ex: burbidgeae). But, most others love it. Heck...atleast better than my 95F summers.

Clearly it must have gone below 32F. The thermometer reached 32f. It doesn't record any lower temps.

Oh V I am so sorry to see this. ((HUGS)) If there is anything I can do let me know.

Thanks for the kind words Kelly. Haven't seen you in a long time? How are you doing?

This thread breaks my heart everytime I see it. I really hope a lot of the plants pull through for you.

vraev? I agree with dionae there, what has happened to you here is tragic and very saddening. My friends and family know that I consider my plants to be "my babies," and I can't imagine a massive loss like this. Perhaps it's a bit selfish, but, would you post some pictures of things that survived, some hope and happy endings? I've recently been obsessed with N. burbidgeae, and you've mentioned it a few times, but I know I'd love to see yours!

I'm not making light of the situation, but I'm colorblind, having a hard time seeing green, and just looking at the pictures everybody looks fine. I quickly figured out the color must be off after reading a few posts quickly realized they all must be brown.

I had that happen to an N. mikeii I was getting in the mail a few years ago. After a day or two the whole thing shriveled up and died. :-( I hope your stuff makes it!

Sorry to bring up such a painful thread, but I was wondering if anything managed to pull through for you?

Good Question Pill!
Was wondering the same myself....
if there are signs of life? ???

Do let us know when opportunity presents.....

Mostly nope.... :( However, some plants that were lightly damaged....a small jacquelineae, epippiata and one of the jamban seedlings is alive.

So far still in limbo

- N. jamban BE
- N jamban seedlings 8
- N macrophylla x 2 BE
- N villosa x 2 BE
- N villosa seedlings 20
- N talangensis BE
- N jacquelineae BE
- N tenuis
- N mira SG Cleopatras needle
- N robcantleyii x 2
- N glabrata BE
- N aristolochioides BE

Non nepenthes:

Lepanthes telipogoniflora
Dracula vampira

A few of the above almost seem to have no hope...the robcantleyii, macrophylla, villosa I already chucked away..SGs also.... but yeah... Thats the story. Trying a last ditch effort with some plant hormones. Will keep you guys posted if there is any good news.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope some of them emerge from limbo soon.

Wow that sad about the royal and villosa, I hope the jamban seedlings make it but so sorry for your loss, if there's anything I can do to help let me know

Well....**** happens. Just got to dust off and move on....although...one look in the tank makes me realize how beautiful it once was and now there are so many empty pots with stumps. Thanks for the offer though. Very nice of you. But I am still waiting and hoping that something from this list makes it back.

Ps...added the orchids I lost too.

oh, PAIN.......
sooooooooooooo much hurting. :(

Darn! That really sucks!

Good things those plants are still in limbo... Not completely gone yet. I've read neps will come back from stalks. Personally, I would turn the heater up on them to get them into the mid fifties at night and the eighties during the day to get their cells functioning back at speed again, no matter the energy costs. I'm sure you're doing all you can though, and you're far more experienced than I. I'm hoping the villosa will pull through. Fav nep evar. :(

true it does happen but still sad to think about

Of course those orchids are fine, they're love it cold.

nope...not the lepanthes. Most enjoy intermediate/warmer temps. My telipogoniflora generally stops growing in winter and grows well in spring/summer. The plant came to me with 2 leaves.... the most I have seen before this accident was 20 or 25. Now its barren without anything and just moss on the cork bark. I am still hoping it may come back. Lets see.

Back