What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Litre Nepenthes Hydroponics

This looks like a decent setup!

Either lady luck feels like smiling upon me, mother nature is f***ing with me, or i'm going insane; two of the pitcher-nodes on my robcantleyi have started turning, which i "believe" means they are beginning to develop. If my day got any better, i would be shocked.

Either lady luck feels like smiling upon me, mother nature is f***ing with me, or i'm going insane; two of the pitcher-nodes on my robcantleyi have started turning, which i "believe" means they are beginning to develop. If my day got any better, i would be shocked.

You mean the tendril? Or the developing pitcher? Or...? ???

the brown bit at the end of the tendril. not quite sure what to call it. Also, i checked the stats this morning, before i turned on the t5, and the temperature dropped from 80 f to 70 f, so the temperature variation is there, with the humidity holding steady at 75%, is this good for my ventricosa and robcantleyi?

the brown bit at the end of the tendril. not quite sure what to call it. Also, i checked the stats this morning, before i turned on the t5, and the temperature dropped from 80 f to 70 f, so the temperature variation is there, with the humidity holding steady at 75%, is this good for my ventricosa and robcantleyi?

Nope. Highlanders need nighttime temps of 50s, but they can tolerate 60s. You should figure out a way to get it into the 60s. Maybe turn your house temperature way down at night, but not sure if your parents would allow that.

let's say, hypothetically, if i kept my plants in the condition they're in now, what would they do?

Robcantleyi and ventricosa are very tolerant neps so I think they will be fine in those conditions at least for a good amount of time

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that my terrarium goes down to 65 f at night, so i think i'm okay. My dad has an automatic hoobaloo that cycles from 70 f to 65 f and my terrarium is heated by the lights, which, when shut off, let the terrarium go down to room temperature. am i okay?

Yeah, you should be ok
N. ventricosa will tolerate pretty much anything, not sure about the other

N. robcantleyi seems to be more of a cool intermediate grower, so it should be fine.

I have space for a few more plants now... not for long though, robcantleyi is a behemoth when fully grown, but does anyone know some other plants that would do well in these condition? truncata pasian, perhaps?

For some reason, i got home today, looked at the hygrometer in my terrarium, which had dropped to 50% for some reason, so i sprayed the inside with water a few times but it refuses to go up past 65%, before i could get it to 75%, what have i done wrong? i covered the bottom of my terrarium with NZ sphagnum which i soaked with water... Is this a bad idea?

For some reason, i got home today, looked at the hygrometer in my terrarium, which had dropped to 50% for some reason, so i sprayed the inside with water a few times but it refuses to go up past 65%, before i could get it to 75%, what have i done wrong? i covered the bottom of my terrarium with NZ sphagnum which i soaked with water... Is this a bad idea?

As long as there isn't sitting water in the bottom which is soaking into the nep's pots causing unwanted moisture in the soil, then it should be fine. Be mindful of mold too. If the terrarium isn't completely covered, the heat from the light will cause it to lose humidity... So just keep it covered I suppose.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

I have space for a few more plants now... not for long though, robcantleyi is a behemoth when fully grown, but does anyone know some other plants that would do well in these condition? truncata pasian, perhaps?

My Pasian Highlands N. truncata is thriving in my terrarium at 80% to 90% humidity about 12" from the T5 fixture. It's just a wee little fellow, probably about 3", but it just put out a new leaf which immediately began to pitcher (it's about to open) and it's about to put out another leaf. :-D

Try something that doesn't need a lot of temperature variation from day to night, or something that is a very slow grower or grows to a small size. If you got a very small N. Lowii rosette, it wouldn't take over the space too fast. :-O

Thanks again, for some reason the humidity went back up, and stayed up while i was sleeping, so that's good... When i get more space, i will definitely get an N. truncata pasian. Big fellas aren't they, but i geuss that's what makes them so beautiful, that they can eat your rat problem. (i said can, not will)

I just got an auto timer, so i'm ready to go to the Bahamas tomorrow!

I just got an auto timer, so i'm ready to go to the Bahamas tomorrow!

How is it possible that you are out side and all the follow up is done inside without any disturbance. That is a very fine technology i would like to know more about it hope you will not mind it.

Back