What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthesis

Formerly known as Pineapple
ROOT ROT:

Well, I'm really getting into neps. I don't want to jump in and spends tons of cash before I know my neps are thriving. Neps 1-3 I've had for around a month and they have obviously settled in, as they are vinining quickly and/or creating new leaves and pitchers. Neps 4-6 I've had for around three weeks. Two are in the process of creating a new leaf, one (Singalana) isn't really growing much, but is making steady progress on two new pitchers.

My problem is, I really want to go nep shopping again, but I don't want to blow a bunch of money and end up having things die. I think I have a good sense for watering, not letting them dry out too much, not soaking them during watering time, not over-fertilizing. I'll definitely wait until I acclimate them to outside light in the greenhouse before I buy new plants, so I'll find some shade cloth soon.

How long do I need to wait before I can be 100% sure my methods of cultivation are adequate? So how long does root rot take to set in before it's noticed? How long until I notice affects from under-watering? How long does it take before I find out they have too much light in the greenhouse? How long until I notice any other major, simple things that could kill neps? Anything else I need to watch out for or take care of?

SHADE CLOTH:

This brings me to my second question, which is kinda tied with the first. I'm getting ready to slowly move my existing neps to the greenhouse because it's supposed to start warming back up out of winter soon... Well at least it will move into the 40s at night, and the greenhouse warms up to around 80F at the most-lit point of the day.

Right now, the neps are in a 29 gallon "terrarium" with around 20w of fluorescent lighting and 20w of T5 lighting. As stated in the root rot portion, they are growing quickly. They have to make the transition to the greenhouse, so I'm worried about the leaves burning. The greenhouse is surrounded by a pretty good amount of trees, mainly in the back. It's not fully shaded, but it's VERY bright indirect sunlight. It gets about an hour of full, direct sunlight in the morning and less than two hours of full, direct sunlight in the afternoon at this point in winter. It's not like they will be in intense sunlight, because most of the day they are in bright shade.

What percentage of shade cloth would be best for my situation, if I need any at all? What chain stores sell shade cloth in specific percentages? If none, where would be the cheapest place to buy it online? I was told by somebody that shade cloth will warp my two-layer polycarbonate panels. They said to use spray instead, which could be really expensive and unnecessary in the winter, but it would be irremovable. Is this true, or will shade cloth be fine for acclimating them for a few days AND during the 4-6 hours of direct sunlight in the summer, every summer?

TLDR.......... :-))

Bump? :(

I'd say that for the watering issue...you will see decline in a month if your methods aren't right....yellowing leaves starting at the bottom of the plant are the first sign of root rot...fitst sign of underwatering is pitcher lids withering all over the plant....even if the humidity is high.

As far as shade cloth goes...I'm not sure...but I know that for GH that are in full sun, 50% shade cloth is best.

I'd say that for the watering issue...you will see decline in a month if your methods aren't right....yellowing leaves starting at the bottom of the plant are the first sign of root rot...fitst sign of underwatering is pitcher lids withering all over the plant....even if the humidity is high.

As far as shade cloth goes...I'm not sure...but I know that for GH that are in full sun, 50% shade cloth is best.

Thanks! None of my plants have those symptoms, and I've had some for over a month. I guess it's safe to get new neps as soon as I move them to the greenhouse. Thanks! :)

Do you think it would work if I put multiple layers of window screen over each plant directly instead of the greenhouse, then removed a layer every few days? Window screen shades pretty well, especially multiple layers. Should work, right?

Thanks! None of my plants have those symptoms, and I've had some for over a month. I guess it's safe to get new neps as soon as I move them to the greenhouse. Thanks! :)

Do you think it would work if I put multiple layers of window screen over each plant directly instead of the greenhouse, then removed a layer every few days? Window screen shades pretty well, especially multiple layers. Should work, right?

No idea....only shade I've ever used outdoors for neps are the leaves on the trees.

Root rot is more of a case of not enough drainage in the media. Neps love a heavy watering as long as it drains freely. Go heavy on the perlite and hold the peat (unless they are lowlanders) and you should be fine.

As for the screen idea, yes, it should work.

4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight is a bit much for nepenthes. Aluminet shadecloth is some pretty good stuff, especially if heat is an issue. I use 60% and the plants seem to enjoy it. Bought it from here http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/shade-cloth

Last edited:
Root rot is more of a case of not enough drainage in the media. Neps love a heavy watering as long as it drains freely. Go heavy on the perlite and hold the peat (unless they are lowlanders) and you should be fine.

As for the screen idea, yes, it should work.

4 to 6 hours of direct sunlight is a bit much for nepenthes. Aluminet shadecloth is some pretty good stuff, especially if heat is an issue. I use 60% and the plants seem to enjoy it. Bought it from here http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/category/shade-cloth

Thanks! I'll look into that. :)

Back