What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Nep Seeds

Planted 12/8/2011 pic taken 3/3/2012 N. ventricosa
DSC_00030001_25_hf.jpg

Oh crap! Maybe those were nep seedlings that I plucked out... :(

Still though, it would be kind of miraculous. Note that Kula's seedlings took three months and that is from two fresh plants that he crossed himself.

Still though, it would be kind of miraculous. Note that Kula's seedlings took three months and that is from two fresh plants that he crossed himself.

True. Oh well, if they were seedlings of neps, there are hundreds more where those came from.

N. maxima lake poso started feb 13.

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

scaled.php

So I've been really hit and miss on my germination attempts in the past.
Exactly how wet do you keep the media? Like just moist, or wet-wet? Somewhere in between?
Also, do you ever have mold start to pop up? if so...how do you remedy it?

Okay, so so far I've grown a ton of algae and a considerable amount of sphagnum, plus these things... I don't think they're nepenthes... I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't...

10pvltk.jpg

What are they? There's about 20 of different sizes (that's the biggest, maybe 1/4") all over the germination chamber.

I've kept it at 60% 85F day and 100% humidity 65F night... NOTHING. It's been like two months! I'm just going to throw in the towel and move the chamber out to the greenhouse to see if stuff grows, if not... Then oh well. I'm afraid this thing is going to catch on fire! A hot, 20 year old lamp with an old bulb just 3/8" through glass away from moist dry sphagnum... Recipe for disaster lol. :nono:

Trust me your sphagnum will not catch on fire from the bulb. Probably wouldn't even light on fire with the sphagnum bone dry and touching the bulb.

Trust me your sphagnum will not catch on fire from the bulb. Probably wouldn't even light on fire with the sphagnum bone dry and touching the bulb.

My friend left his heating coils hooked up during the summer in a heap of peat and it caught his house on fire... Peat is decomposed sphagnum... ???

Still might just move it outside after a while, it's taking up a lot of space. I added a bunch of water to keep it from drying out for a while, so it should be good to go until I get tired of it sitting on mah shelf. :jester:

Okay, so so far I've grown a ton of algae and a considerable amount of sphagnum, plus these things... I don't think they're nepenthes... I'm going to go out on a limb and say they aren't...

10pvltk.jpg

What are they? There's about 20 of different sizes (that's the biggest, maybe 1/4") all over the germination chamber.

I've kept it at 60% 85F day and 100% humidity 65F night... NOTHING. It's been like two months!

Two months is nothing. You need serious patience for germinating Nepenthes seed. Like I said recently, I have N. tentaculata seeds still germinating after 7 months. What you have grown is Liverworts, from what I can tell. Well done LOL.

Back