What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild collected Nep seed purchase discussions

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
Admin edit
This post has been pulled from this topic: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129654&page=4 along with related posts....
(now deleted by request of author)

Upon reading this thread I felt compelled to be a wet blanket since nobody else is saying anything.

Many, if not all of these ebay vendors are taking these seeds from their indigenous environment and I have never heard of any of these Indonesian vendors actually having the permits to send these seeds internationally. In fact right now there are a number of species up for sale that will "be sent as arts and crafts".

For a long time N. naga and still right now N. aristolochioides seeds are or were available on ebay. I understand wanting to grow these plants from seed. I would absolutely love to have some seed grown N. aristolochioides. But many of these vendors brag about how fresh their seed is and how it was "harvested" from Mt. wherever.

Why are these plants getting rarer and rarer?

Why are some endangered?

How is buying their poached seeds off of ebay going to sustain that species?

Ask yourself these questions.

Last edited:
Upon reading this thread I felt compelled to be a wet blanket since nobody else is saying anything.

Many, if not all of these ebay vendors are taking these seeds from their indigenous environment most likely with no permits. Also I have never heard of any of these Indonesian vendors actually having the permits to send these seeds internationally. In fact right now there are a number of species up for sale that will "be sent as arts and crafts".

For a long time N. naga and still right now N. aristolochioides seeds are or were available on ebay. I understand wanting to grow these plants from seed. I would absolutely love to have some seed grown N. aristolochioides. But many of these vendors brag about how fresh their seed is and how it was "harvested" from Mt. wherever.

Why are these plants getting rarer and rarer?

Why are some endangered?

How is buying their poached seeds off of ebay going to sustain that species?

Ask yourself these questions.

Very, very true. However, I do believe that albermarelsounds has a permit to collect, if I can recall correctly from what another member of TF told me. That is part of the reason I order from him, and the other part was because the person who told me had good success rate. So I agree with what you are saying, but some (definitely not many) ebay sellers may actually have permits.

All the listings under albermarlesounds and morebuyfromthisshop in ebay were deleted very recently. Strange... Do you know how I can communicate with this guy? I saw the seed offerings a few days ago but now all of them are gone.

Last edited:
Sorry magellan but I cant help you.

Just sowed some N.x ventricosa x veitchii. I really have my fingers crossed for these. Should be a nice hybrid.

^^ :clap:
that deserves applause :p

Dionae,
I can appreciate your enthusasm for wanting to grow these plants. I am right there with you. Believe me when I say this I do believe you had the best of intentions. Your picture in the beginning of that thread with the little girl is adorable- "Getting a new generation interested in CPs." This is very admirable.

But as a fellow carnivorous plant guy I gotta be honest. "Sorry if you guys feel i'm destroying the rare nepenthes population by ordering seeds from ebay."

By ordering rare nepenthes seeds off eBay- that is EXACTLY what you are contributing to. Make no mistake. When you give those guys your money and they hike up the hills to cut the seed stalks off of the endangered nepenthes vines- you might as well be doing it yourself. You have, in effect, hired them to do the job for you.

I am not trying to point fingers or be accusational. I am also not judging you as a person. But there is something very wrong going on in the online auction world that I am trying to draw attention to. I am not sure everyone is really completely aware of what is actually going on on ebay.

Can not agree more. Ive seen very few seeds sold on there that are from the owners plants. One of the biggest poachers on there is nepentheae. All of his "harvest dates" are the same which meant he went on a harvesting rampage through the hills in December. If someone could try and contact ebay to ban him that would be great...right now my ebay account is being funky. Although he can make another account, he would loose all his 1000 + ratings which would be a big slap in the face for him.

I'm starting to get the feeling noone likes my thread:D. Sorry if you guys feel i'm destroying the rare nepenthes population by ordering seeds from ebay.

Tis ok...I like your thread...good luck with the seeds. :)

(Is a dry and fluffy blanket)

Lots of speculation flying around over here....don't make me break out the drama llama pictures......

Maybe you should start your a thread, your own thread, about ordering seeds from ebay. I understand how some of you feel and thats fine...youre entitled to your opinion. I dont have the time on my hands to go through feedback of sellers then go through the feedback of people who left feedback and see what theyre selling and so on and so forth. The seeds are ordered and some sowed and when the rest get here i'll sow them...the end.

I should point out, and then I am done- my point here is not necessarily that we should boycott all of these sellers. Maybe that is the answer, I do not know. For all I know they could have bought them under the impression that they were not wild harvested and have since stopped buying from these guys. Who knows (Note, I am not speculating)

My point here is that this problem is not surface deep. Some of the seeds you are buying from US based sellers may have been poached. Some of the seed grown nepenthes you are paying top dollar for may have been poached from the wild (This is speculationish, but with very good reason backed by facts). Admittedly I have yet to see a listing for a "Seed grown Nepenthes dubia" or such- but again, in participating in these sales you are supporting the activities of those that wild collect critically endangereds.

100 percent agree. Never buy endangered seeds and plants from sellers even they are in US because "US based sellers may have been poached". Never go from one forum to another forum looking for "rare" seeds because (MAY BE) ".... you are supporting the activities of those that wild collect critically endangereds" . Some interesting links:

http://icps.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=roridula&action=display&thread=5291&page=1

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129819

I am not familiar with what permits are needed over there to collect wild seed, or if permits are needed at all.
What are the rules?

Back