What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how long are highland Nepenthes seeds viable?

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I know lowland seeds don't last long, how long do highlands stay viable?

exponentially decreases from ripened date...you want to shoot for seeds that are new to 3 months old. wouldnt go for absolutely anything past 6.

Thanks amp. How about lowlands. I know it's not long but not sure how long.

10 minutes less than you have them lol

Adding to the good info given already,
I would think that the length of time has a lot to do with the conditions they are
harvested & stored under.

Not that this helps....:-D

Thanks amp. How about lowlands. I know it's not long but not sure how long.

never looked into lowland species...sorry. i would have imagined them being the same...but like what GrowingOld said, how the seeds are kept has a lot to do with their shelf life...

I know I kept vent seeds a few weeks at room temps and got pretty good germination. Not sure how old they were when I got then though. Just curious. I have been looking at seeds again lol.

I've heard that they germinate best in lowland temps... Not just the lowlanders, but the highlanders. Maybe higher temperatures active enzymes that speed up the process?

Idk. I know I will be starting my seeds on a terrarium. Where my vent seeds were started. Got 8 different pods coming and an unknown bonus. I sure hope I get a few strikes out of each atleast. I will be so happy!!

Back