What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grow N. Ampullaria from seeds

Dear all,

I bought 10 N. Ampullaria seeds online one and a half year ago, all germinated in a month, but up to now they still remain very small, less than 1 cm. They all in a small pot with a transparent lid, humidity should be 100%. I use pure peat and the tray method to keep the peat constantly wet. Temperture inside the lid is 25C. Absolutely no fertilizer added before since i am not sure how much fertilizer is needed.

Is there anyone can tell me why they remain that small after 1.5 years? And how to speed up their growing?

Thanks! :-))

Edited to make way for the more experience people...

Last edited:
I've grown many ampullaria from seed. My last batch is under a year old and most are 3 inches or so across. Yours sound very small for the age. How warm are you keeping them ? Also, you should definitely start using fertilizers.

A little bit of help Ampullarias like to stay small and try hard not to vine and produce uppers...

Try giving them a little air circulation, not a 100% saturated humidity. From what I have experienced, seedlings grown in 100% humidity (with exception of TC) tends to grow slower and risk fungal attack.

Amps are quite slow IMO, just be patient, you may fertilize them though I have never done so and shall not comment further on that. Also, to edit a bit what lance said, amps DO vine and does so happily (they need to put out their flower high in the canopy in the wild) but don't expect showy pitchers and even less upper pitchers. Their show stopping abilities are in the mass basal pitchers produced. The wider the pot, the faster and more basal pitchers they produce.

Additional air circulation=higher CO2 availability=higher rates of photosynthesis=more growth. The plants need carbon from CO2 to grow (or, in the case of tissue culture, sugar...)!! Also, I second the motion to fertilize them. I put an osmocote pelet right near the base of each seedling (preferably a little under the soil surface, to the side of the seedling perhaps). keep temps above 75* F at all times preferably

Back