What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do I Need Circulation for My Nepenthes Seed?

Vbkid

Getting There...
So last night I received 6 types of Nepenthes seed I had ordered off ebay in the mail. After running by lowes and getting a 3 packs of the covered seedling trays, I got everything sowed. I used scissors to shred up 100% dried LFS, boiled it to sterilize it, and then filled 6 sets of cells and put 1 type of seed in each cell. I put the tray, covered, on the seed heating mat on the bottom of my growrack, pretty far from the lights 2 shelves above, until they germinate.
Should I keep the humidity dome on 24/7? Should I air it out each day? Leave it off completely?
Also, should I leave any water in the bottom of the seed tray, or just add in water whenever it starts to dry out.
Thanks for the help!
Kyle

I take the top off about 30 min to 1 hour each day...that should give the seeds a breather

I would keep the dome on constantly and provide a couple of vents on the cover if not already present. My typical method for Nepenthes seed is a standard 3" pot full of wet peat and sand, along with a closed zip-lock bag under diffused lighting . . .

I have a whole lot of extra gymnaphora seed that I didn't use. going to throw them on peat/sand tonight and compare germination rates.

FOOL! Nobody uses peat/sand for nep seed germination!
:-))
I used this long ago when I had good connections and got great germination with stenophylla and fusca.
I used to boil milled sphagnum and then overdid it once and got loads of fungus on it. It seemed to break the anti-fungal properties of it. Make sure you keep an eye out for that.

Cheers,

Joe

I would keep the dome on constantly and provide a couple of vents on the cover if not already present. My typical method for Nepenthes seed is a standard 3" pot full of wet peat and sand, along with a closed zip-lock bag under diffused lighting . . .

Back