What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shrews in Nepenthes ventricosa x ephippiata

hi all,

today in my greenhouse i dicovered 3 shrews in a pitcher of ventricosa x ephippiata

the pitcher with shrews inside
052fu.jpg

shrews during digestion
053ab.jpg

Poor shrews. Have a hedgehog (part of the shrew family) for a pet, so its a bit sad to see.

Wild and Crazy! I love my Vent x ephippiata even more now....just will have to keep my daughters small rodents away from it! :lol:

Pity. Shrews are excellant rodent killers.

oh man I bet that smelled fantastic...

ewww.... that's gotta smell like roses I'm sure. :rolleyes:

yummy! well if you ever go hungry at least you know you got a plant that can help you catch food

hahahahaha! NOT what i was expecting at all!
what i was expecting was one of those in-situ photos of tree shrews taking a crap in a nepenthes toilet.

blew my mind. :lol:
that being said, it seems the temperate cousins fail at what their tropical ones do all the time. XD

Wow! Quite a rare thing to find an animal that big in a pitcher... I usually find nothing bigger than a lizard.

Shrew stew.....

There's documentation of shrews being found in pitchers of both N. ephippiata and N. lowii on a regular basis in wild populations. They're apparently very attracted by the heavy secretions under the lid. It's really interesting to see it in cultivated plants as well.

Huh, very nice! Can't wait for my Rajah to grow that big! :)

How big is that pitcher? I'm surprised you found one, let alone three, in there.

I know what I wanna get now..

wow nice find, but at the same time poor shrews but thats nature for ya

Three shrews, one pitcher. :-))

Must be an awfully big pitcher! Do you have a size on that? Looks pretty big for ventricosa or an ephippiata.

Back